forty-five.

The Aftermath

~~~~~

"it's nothing personal

"it's nothing personal."
~~~~~

"I don't get why I have to be here."

Hope was sitting on a chair in an interrogation room in the police station. She had pulled her legs onto the chair, her knees tucked to her chest, and her arms wrapped around them. She was staring at one of the Sheriff's deputies as if she was hoping he would combust.

"It's just routine questioning, kid."

"So?" Hope exclaimed. "Just ask your Sheriff. He was there that night."

The deputy sighed, "We need all perspectives of what happened that night."

Hope tilted her head at the man, analyzing him, "Are you even allowed to question me without an adult present?"

"According to the law, an adult is not required to be present when a minor is in custody and is being questioned," He responded to her, earning an unimpressed look from Hope.

"Thought this was just routine questioning."

"It is."

Hope raised her brows.

"It's just that you're under more suspicion than anyone else."

"Why?"

"You were unaccounted for at the time that the power went out in the station and the alarms rang. In that time, Matt Daehler was also unaccounted for. Given that no one can place the whereabouts of you at the time, you could have been with him at the time of his death."

"Death? You mean when he was murdered?"

"Yes."

"And let me guess, you think I might have seen who murdered him or where Matt had gone?"

Hope stared at the deputy, her eyes flickering across his face before she scoffed, "No. You think I killed him?"

The deputy tried to mask his surprise, "And did you?"

"No. Of course not."

"Then what happened that night?"

Hope had a small flashback to that night before she cleared her thoughts and responded, "The power went off then the alarms, and Matt's first instinct was to grab me and drag me out into the hall. There was some commotion, and, um, Matt forced me out of the station with a gun pointed at me. We walked for a while and he rambled out the oddest things. Eventually, we arrived at the river. He went on and on about how if he couldn't have me then no one could."

"He wanted to kill me. He was going to kill me."

"What happened?"

Hope picked at her thumb nail as she began to talk again, "There was some noise, Matt got distracted, and, I, uh, I ran. I ran as quick and as fast as I could. He fired a bullet. I heard it go off. It was somewhere near me, but I couldn't see where. It was too dark."