forty-six.

Lacrosse Game Showdown

~~~~~

"and you should fix your face, but you don't see me pointing it out

"and you should fix your face, but you don't see me pointing it out."
~~~~~

"You've decided."

Derek turned around to face his two betas.

"When?"

"Tonight," Erica responded.

"Everyone's going to be at the game. We figured it was the best time," Boyd added.

Erica looked back to Derek, "It's not like we want to."

"What do you want?"

"Since I just turned sixteen a month ago, I wouldn't mind getting my license...I can't do that if I'm dead, you know..."

"Well, I told you there was a price."

"Yeah, but you didn't say that it would be like this!"

Hope had.

Hope had told all of them the consequences.

But they wanted power.

And they didn't listen to her warnings.

"Yeah, but I told you how to survive—you do it as a pack. And you're not a pack without an Alpha," Derek told them. His thoughts immediately went to Hayley, Hope's mother. Hayley had been an Alpha and with the new revelation that Hope was a werewolf, he wondered if Hope was one as well.

"We know."

"You want to look for another pack?" Derek shook his head in disbelief. "How are you even going to find one?"

"We think we already did..."

Derek raised his brows.

"Like, all of a sudden, we heard all this howling. It was unbelievable."

"There must have been a dozen of them—"

"Maybe more!" Erica added.

Derek scoffed, "Yeah, or maybe only two. You know what the Beau Geste effect is? If they modulate their howls with a rapid shift in tone, two wolves can sound like twenty."

"Look, that doesn't matter, okay? There's another pack out there. There's got to be." Erica sighed, "We've made up our minds."

"Yeah. We lost, Derek. And it's over. We're leaving."

"No. No, you're running," Derek argued. "And once you start, you don't stop. You'll always be running."

Derek turned around as the two betas left the house. He went back to doing his previous task until he sensed something behind him near the stairwell. He quickly turned around and threw a sharp object at the intruder.