Chapter 1

Chapter 1

Avian Burn's Point of View

"Stealing is bad, Miss. Hindi ka ba tinuruan ng magulang mo na bawal magnakaw?" Maraming tao ang lumingon sa gawi ko. Kahit ako'y napatigil sa aking ginagawa nang bigla na lang may humawak sa aking kamay. I tried to lift my face just to see a girl about my age in front of me. She's wearing an apron with the store logo placed on right side of her chest. Her arching eyebrows seemed like it was drawn, her lips pursed while glaring at me.

I was quietly trying to put the bread I had bought inside my backpack. I already paid for it, but why am I being cornered like this? But if I pay again for these, then I admit that I really stole them. Everyone inside the bakery store paid us so much attention. Mula sa aking pwesto ay rinig na rinig ko ang kanilang sinasabi.

"I... I already paid for it." Mahinang sabi ko dito. Well, this store is so old fashioned. You need to pay in cash and you're not given any receipt. Naubusan kasi ng brown bag nang bumili ako at sinabi ko na lang sa isang cashier na ilalagay ko na lang ito sa loob ng aking bag. Ngunit bago ko pa magawa ay bigla na lang may pumigil sa aking kamay. And it's because of this girl who seems so invested to me right now.

Hihingi na sana ako ng tulong mula sa cashier na binigyan ko ng aking bayad nang makita kong wala ito sa kanyang pwesto. Now, I remembered what she said earlier, she will quickly get out from the store and buy brown bags.

"Hindi kita nakita na nagbayad. Huwag mo na patagalin ang usapan, Miss. Magbayad ka na lang, hindi naman kamahalan ang binili mo pero mali naman ang magnakaw na lang." Natuptop ko ang aking bibig at tila'y nanigas sa aking pwesto. Kahit nanginginig ang aking tuhod ay pinilit kong tumayo nang maayos.

Everyone is looking at me with disgust written on their faces. Why should I pay again for something I've already paid? I tried to open my mouth to speak, but no voice came out.

"You see that girl? You should study harder so you won't steal, just like her." Lalo akong napatigil sa aking narinig mula sa aking paligid. I looked around to see who was the owner of that voice, to see a woman in her mid-thirties lecturing her young daughter about life. Her words are full of crap. Who's in the right mind to speak such rotten wisdom? Pero bigla na lang akong napailing sa aking sarili.

When did I become this weak?

I used to speak what was running inside my head. I used to hold my head high and not fear confrontation like this. Why should I be scared of something I didn't even do? But I was no longer that girl. I become timid, gloomy, and quiet.

Speak up, Avian. It would be best if I spoke up. But every time I tried to open my mouth, no words came out.

"I..." Humigpit ang pagkahawak ko sa aking bag at pilit na nagsalita. Malakas na rin ang kabog ng aking puso. I don't want to be cornered like this and to be in the center of attention.

"I saw her paying for those bread." My words hung up when I heard a deep baritone voice from my back.

His voice is too deep and too sexy for a man. Dahan-dahan akong lumingon sa aking likuran at nakita ang nagmamay-ari ng boses na ito. It is indeed from a man, but I didn't expect him to be like... this—a pierced guy, for that matter. The first thing I noticed was his piercings. He's got a lot. He had four earrings in his right ear, and I don't know how many he got on his left since I could only see the right side of his face. His hair is in a top knot, and some strands fall at his forehead and the back of his nape. A long-haired guy, I see. The first word I could ever think of right now is wow. That is so unexpected. Bumaba ang tingin ko sa balikat niya pababa sa kanyang braso. He also got a tattoo that was not too big, just enough to cover some of his biceps.