Chapter 46

Chapter 46

Avian Burn's Point of View

"Kukunin ka ni Leiti." That's the famous words that parents say to scare their kids. When I was a kid, Leiti was associated with the word monster. Don't cry, or else the monsters will get you. Always follow your parents, or else the monster will come to you.

"Sige, kung hindi mo mauubos ang iyong kinakan, kukunin ka ni Leiti."

"Hindi ka ba titigil sa pagiyak? Kukunin ka ni Leiti." These are the common phrases that the adults say to their kids. I even heard my mom tell this to me when I used to be a kid. Gossips in this town circulates faster than you think. It turns out that the gossip about Leiti was true. She was a beautiful lady. Pero dahil sa hirap ng buhay nakipagsapalaran ito sa siyudad para maging katulong. That's where she was raped and when she got back in her home town, she was already carrying a baby. Dahil daw hindi ito makawala sa nangyari sa kanya noong gabing iyon, masyado niya raw itong dinibdib kaya siya nabaliw. Kaya kung paano niya palakihin ang kanyang anak ay walang pakialam ang mga tao dito.

The first time I saw Leiti's son was when I ran away from home since my parents were fighting again in the middle of the afternoon because of me. It was because I asked my father to buy me a dog from the shop. Yakap-yakap ko pa itong nang umuwi kami sa bahay pero nagalit ang aking nanay dahil dito. Saying that, why would my father waste his money buying a dog? In the end, pinabalik ito ng nanay ko sa shop. I was devastated because the moment when I locked eyes with that Maltese. I knew that I was its owner.

I was eleven at the time, and I was walking aimlessly in the street while crying when I noticed a small house made from cemented wall. This place has always intrigued me since this is the only house in the street that ain't polished. No beautiful garden in the front. No backyard to play at. How can an individual survive in a place? The area is so shabby I almost don't want to go near it. There's only one window on the right and one door on the left. Sa tuwing dumadaan ako dito at papasok sa school ay may nakikita akong ulo na nakatingin lang sa may bintana. At first, I thought it was a ghost, but people said it was maybe the crazy woman's son.

Now that I have nowhere to go, I went to that shabby place, sitting on the filthy sand. Sumandal ako sa pader habang katabi ko naman ang bintana sa aking kaliwa. I couldn't take all the yelling inside the house, so I ran away. Here I am, in front of this shabby house that I swear to myself that I will not go to. I was still crying when I reached this place, remembering why my parents fought. I put my head on my knees and weep. I don't want them to see me cry. My mom will only hit me.

When a good amount of minutes passed, I raised my head. Drying my tears, I accidentally looked over my shoulders and noticed someone was looking at me.

"Ahh!" Napasigaw ako dahil sa gulat at napaupo ng tuluyan sa matigas na buhangin. Nakatingin lang ito sa akin mula sa bintana ng nakatikom ang bibig. Ngayon ko lang nakita ang bata na ito nang ganito kalapit. I didn't notice that he's just about my age. But I haven't seen him in school. Don't tell me he doesn't go to school? Tumayo ako mula sa pagkabagsak at pinagpag ang dumi na nakamit ko. I stood up to face him and put my hands on the window grill.

"Ikaw 'yung madalas tumingin sa bintana na ito, di'ba?" Tanong ko sa kanya pero tahimik lang itong tumingin sa akin. I tried leaning my head so I can properly see his face. This window grill isn't helping me at all.

"Anong pangalan mo?" I know that she's Leiti's son. Growing up, I haven't seen him outside. Kahit sa playground o sa school ay hindi ko ito nakikita. Maliit lang naman ang lugar namin kaya impossibleng hindi ko ito makita sa labas. When I asked his name, he still didn't answer. Oh! Don't tell me he can't talk?