Chapter 13

POV Sebastian

This book is fascinating.

After I wished Penelope goodnight, I couldn't stop reading it. It contains so many interesting curses and hexes of so many kinds! For example, there is a very complex incantation for a powerful curse, that applies on a certain object, and when the victim touches the objects with their bare hands, they get lifted in the air, feeling the insufferable pain, causing their death. A complex spell, really. Requires a lot of practice and magical potential, not to say it exhausts the caster, but what a result!

Or another example: a spell that notifies the caster each time a certain word is spoken. It allows to track down that person or it even could kill them! Not as interesting as the previous one, but certainly deserves attention.

My interest is solely scientifical, of course. Or at least that is what I try to make myself believe.

The chapter on curses similar to Anne's is interesting as well.

Such curses are mostly nonverbal, which makes them twice more difficult. Not all of them have a counter-curse, but the one that got my attention does.

It says here that the Withering Curse is an ancient curse. It is rarely used and cannot be reversed by any kind of medicine, relics of spells. The curse is long-lasting, it slowly withers the victim, causing them bursts of pain time to time. It can last from three months to six years, depending on the power of the caster.

The counter-curse must be performed during New Moon. The caster must genuinely wish to reverse the curse. Additionally, there are two types of potions that both the caster and the victim must drink, each one takes two weeks to prepare and three days to drink. The spell must be performed no later than four days after they drink their potions.

The curse sounds like the one that Anne has. I should discuss it with Penelope – after all she will be the one who will perform the counter curse.

"What are you reading?" The rustle of the pages must have woken up Ominis.

"Um...nothing. Just reviewing some potions for tomorrow's class."

"What potions?" Dammit, just go to sleep.

"Um...uh...Calming Draught and um...Pepperup Potion."

"And what similar ingredients do they have?" What are you, Professor Sharp now? I don't have the slightest idea.

"Um...lavender?"

"None. Go back to sleep, you will fail tomorrow anyway."

How kind of him.

POV Penelope

Sebastian and I didn't get a chance to discuss the book – there was always something that came up. First, Garreth, who blew up something in potions again, then Imelda's hysterics because of some first-year who called her broom outdated, then we all went to Hogsmeade to buy Ominis the Wiggenweld potion for him to switch it with his homework. In the end I barely got a moment to myself, not to mention the discussion.

By the time I got to Astronomy class I can't stay on my feet. I believe that it was the conjuring that exhausted me so much. Thankfully, the weekends are just a few days away...

"Penelope...Penelope!" I hear a voice calling for me.

"Oh...Amit?"

"Yes, you fell asleep..."

"Oh...Um...Thank you for waking me up."

"You're welcome! Do you want to share a telescope? I could show you a few interesting constellations I've found recently." Amit is excited as always. I wish I could share the same passion for a school subject as he does.