Chapter 17

After detentions Sebastian gave me the Secrets of the Darkest Art for to look through. Now I understand what he was talking about when he said that this book is more than he could have imagined – the amount of terrifying, cruel, even monstrous spells in it is enormous! But this is also what makes me unable to stop reading it. Every curse I learn about is like a breath of fresh air – something interesting, something fascinating, like the new world is opening up for me.

"Look at her, a new Dark Witch is being born! You've been reading that book for an hour now." Sebastian says, smiling. He is leaning against the wall of the Room of Requirement holding a Puffskein.

"Look at him, bonding with beasts! Maybe you should have been put to Hufflepuff!" I answer.

"Nonsense. It's just your Puffskein is so friendly that I can't stop petting it. What's his name?"

"It's a female, and her name is Hecate."

Sebastian mimics eternal sadness and disappointment when he brings Hecate to the eye level.

"You, traitor! I thought you and I are going to run away and enjoy bachelor life, but you are not who I thought you are! Go back to your vivarium!"

"Bachelor life? What about me?" I laugh.

"Of course I would take you with me, what kind of a bachelor life is it without you?" He says, hugging me from behind, looking at the book, "Found anything worth attention?"

"Just a bunch of torturing curses leading to painful death."

"So you've read a quarter. That's great, but I..." he starts flipping the pages, "...would like you to look at the Withering Curse. I believe it's the one Anne has."

Sebastian tells me all about the curse, pointing out the main parts it the book. I must admit, it does sound like what Anne has.

"There is no way I'm mistaken, I've searched everything, everywhere I could, but this is the only thing that fits the description well enough." He says while his chin rests on my shoulder.

"It says here that it requires two potions. Complex enough, not to say that ingredients are also rare...but I believe I have everything we need. Except for the moondew."

"How can you not have moondew? It's the basic ingredient of the Wiggenweld potion!"

"Moondew drops are the basic ingredient of the Wiggenweld potion, and I buy them at Hogsmeade. As for moondews themselves, I think I saw some in the forest."

"Penelope..." Sebastian turns me around, making me face him.

"Yes?"

"Will you perform the counter curse?"

"You can't do it yourself because of your promise to Ominis and Anne?"

"Precisely."

"I will perform it, Seb. And I will also persuade Anne to let me do so." I say, without hesitation.

"I knew I could count on you." He smiles, leaving a light kiss on my forehead, "Now, why don't we go look for that moondew while there is still time?"

The sunsets are coming later and later, marking the soon arrival of summer. The nature is changing rapidly – there is much more color than there was just a few days ago.

As the sun sets over the horizon, the forest comes alive with a warm golden light. The trees stand tall and proud, casting long shadows across the forest floor. The leaves rustle gently in the evening breeze, creating a soft, soothing sound that fills the air.