Doctor

Chieko screwed up her eyes in concentration as the doctor moved his gloved finger in front of her face. As she followed his finger with her eyes, she began to think over the events that had transpired over the past few hours. As soon as she had woken up, she had found herself sprawled out under a tree in a public park with people giving her strange glances. A kind stranger decided to help her out, but he was confusing her with how fast he was talking in a language that she could hardly comprehend.

Over the next few hours, she had been taken to a nearby hospital and sent to the waiting room. The aforementioned stranger sometimes came by to check on her, occasionally bringing her bottled water or a pastry in the shape of a fish. Now, Chieko was sitting through a cranial nerve exam.

It seemed like the doctor could not speak any Japanese, much like every other person that she had encountered. Thankfully, she had managed to pick up some Korean due to the obsessive viewings of her favorite K-pop groups.

Despite all of this, Chieko was still floundering for answers, none of which popped up in her head.

"Where am I?" Chieko asked tentatively, earning a glance from the doctor.

"Seoul. Where else would you be?" he responded as he moved to grab his light to shine in her eyes.

"Is that not in South Korea?" The doctor nodded in response as Chieko frantically added, "No, I should be in an apartment. In Kobe, Japan-"

The doctor gave her a strange look before he finally asked, "You said that you passed out. Did you hit your head?"

"No, nothing like that!" Chieko answered as she pursed her lips in frustration. "I must be dreaming.."

"Well, there is a possibility that you did hit your head and that you have become a tad bit confused. That could also be linked to your delusion that you should be in Japan."

"Delusion?" Chieko repeated as she let out a soft sigh.

"Are you living in Korea for work?"

"No, I work in a lab that is located in Kobe."

"Then, perhaps you are on a vacation." He sighed as soon as Chieko shook her head in response. "You must have hit your head really hard."

"I should not be here!" Chieko exclaimed as the doctor's expression only scrunched up in confusion. There was nothing but silence on his end as he tried to process her situation.

"I... am not sure how to help you in this scenario," he finally proclaimed as he moved to grab a piece of paper and a pen. He quickly moved to write something on the paper and slide it over to her. "I would suggest that you get an examination from this doctor. For now, I would highly recommend that you rest and try not to do anything mentally taxing."

Chieko remained silent as she took the piece of paper, shoved it into the pocket of her jean jacket, and slid off of the examination table. She nodded her head in thanks as she headed toward the door, pausing at it.

"Did anybody tell you what had happened to me?"

"What do you mean by that?"

"I woke up in a park that I do not remember entering. How did I end up there?"

"You might have been walking there when you tripped ad hit your head. Other than your lapse in memory, there is nothing out of the ordinary."

Chieko nodded in silence before finally heading to the front to pay. Her hand moved to her jacket pocket, pausing when she realized that her wallet was not in it. As she stood there, she briefly remembered setting her wallet on her bed.