✧ ⋮ 2 ⋮ 08 ⋮ SOULLESS

※ ※ ※ ※ ※ ※ ※ ※ ※ ※ ※

Unknown ┃ Nothingness

Once again, the esper found himself in a state that he couldn't quite comprehend

Once again, the esper found himself in a state that he couldn't quite comprehend. But unlike before, he doesn't feel drenched and confused.

However, he does feel that some crushing weight has been placed onto him. Causing his movements to be constricted. Further more, he has some understanding of how he got into this situation.

(Rem: "Kakine!")

That girl — Her voice suddenly came to him; which then echoed within the void of everything.

For the #2, it was strange to hear his name called out like that. It was similar to the feeling he got when that silver-haired girl graced him with that smile. Undeserving.

♪ ToAru ost : Feeling for the First Time ♪

However a lot of strange things have happened lately.

Even he couldn't help but wonder how he got into this situation.

He went from battling within the scientific metropolis to being chased by wolf-beasts in a forest in an unknown world.

Kakine: (Damn it all... Why did all of this have to happen... I was one step away from achieving absolute control...)

Kakine: (Just one step away... I was so close...)

(Accelerator: "Do you have any idea why you and I are divided as #1 and #2? It's because there's an impassable wall between us.")

Those words rang within his psyche — Unlike himself, the #1 esper had the ability to protect and destroy at the same time. Something that he lacked.

But why? — Why did it seem like fate is always antagonizing him? Even if the possibility that he did somehow succeed, would fate still stand against him? Would his plan to be at the center of it all... not work in the end?

Kakine: (What if... taking control of Academy City and eliminating the dark side didn't solve anything... Is it really possible for someone like me to prevent those tragedies?)

Kakine: (...Would "he" even be able to achieve that? Liberate the tribulations caused by Academy City's dark side?)

Kakine: (It's not like I wanted to fight him... I have no interest in him or becoming the strongest... That wasn't my goal...)

In the darkness of Academy City, there was more tragedy than stars in the night sky.

Kakine: (I just wanted all of it to stop... To end the string of tragedies surrounding me forever... That's why I wanted to take control... If that happens then... then...)