Chapter 19

chapter 19 | the phonecall

"I did it my way" -unknown

My heart rate speeds up the longer I hold the phone in my hand

Blake spent the whole night on the phone preparing everything. Now there are around 7 other agents in his apartment, rushing around making last minute preparations. I'm sitting in the middle of the living room holding a phone connected to a laptop, nobody bothered to explain how everything works. Monique is in a zoom call on the TV and Blake is in front of me.

The plan is simple, if you can call it that, I just call that phone number and everything will be recorded and tracked. I'm basically just their little puppet.

Bad for them because I hate being someone's puppet and they'll feel on their skin what exactly I'm capable of.

I look at Monique. I've grown to hate that bitch with a passion. I know why she sent all these extra agents. She thinks I won't cooperate and Blake won't be able to stop me on his own. Which is true. But it still pisses me off. She made me memorize lines for today's phone call and after she realized I'm putting no effort in she just said she'll send me a notification with what I have to say next. I wanted to rip her throat out.

Last night I overheard a phone call between her and Blake. Everything I understood was 'tracking', 'at least' and '60 seconds'. I put the pieces together.

Suddenly the phone starts dialing. My heart falls to my stomach.

I look around panicked "What the fu-"

Before I get to finish the sentence I hear my mum's voice:

"Hello?"

My heart stops.

I bring the phone to my ear slowly. My hands are shaking. I didn't realize how much hearing my mother's voice affected me. I was suddenly back in my room in Berlin, with my family, away from all this craziness.