Chapter 21

   Waking up to what felt like heavenly clouds was one way to start the day. It was the most comfortable sleep I'd ever had in my life. It was so good that when I first opened my eyes, I was disoriented. Like a dream, or the effect of drugs, everything felt surreal and unfamiliar. As my eyes adjusted and the blur vanished from my eyes, I scanned the room like a confused and curious newborn.

This was not the bed I was used to sleeping in. It wasn't small and made for one person. The warm body of my best friend was not squeezed next to me. I had so much room I could stretch out all of my limbs and not have a single body part stick out from the sheets.

Slowly, I remembered everything. I sat up straight and looked around the room some more. My things were still on the floor from where I thought about unpacking a few things. But before I did that, I rolled to the other side of the bed and picked up my phone from the nightstand that I left charging overnight.

Holy shit, I thought as soon as I saw the time. It was one in the afternoon.

Was it rude that I overslept while staying in someone else's apartment? For some reason it made me nervous and awkward. I wanted to go to the bathroom to brush my teeth and shower, but I'd run into Jin, right? We had a fun time just hanging out and getting to know each other, and it was great that he was so open and inviting, but the thought of being a horrible roommate or making things uncomfortable for everyone made me want to shut myself in and never open the bedroom door.

"Stupid," I muttered to myself.

Yeah, I was stupid. My thoughts were stupid. My feelings were stupid.

Then again, I'd understand my situation if I was looking from the outside in. These were all new people to me. And I included Cedric and Elijah in that. They were all new in my life and I was scared to do the wrong thing. I had lingering fear from being kidnapped. Overthinking was going to be my new inner-struggle that I'd never get over. The truth was . . . I didn't know any of these people. I was scared.

I forced myself to get out of bed and sat on the floor with my legs crossed. I hunched over my things, opened my suitcase, and took out the bag that held my bathroom essentials. While I fished out some clothes, I thought about how to ask Jin for a towel.

A few things dropped from my hands as I piled random shit on top of the bed to organize them. Jin must have heard it because a few seconds later, I heard a light knock. The door opened just enough for a pair of lips to peek through.

"You awake?" Jin whispered.

That made me laugh, and it also made me less tense.

"Yeah."

"Okay, good," he said, kicking the door open without even asking if he could come in. "We have one problem."

Jin was shirtless and wearing these small black shorts that showed off his long legs, enhancing how tall he already looked. He leaned against the door and sighed, closing his eyes.