Chapter 17

   The stinging reminder on the back of my neck was one way to wake up. It was either that or the nightmares. The pain of having a tattoo was kinder than the images in my mind. Nothing was worse than the obvious future my nightmares foreshadowed.

I was preparing for the worst. I knew that no amount of nightmares or casual kidnappings were close to the real deal. Whatever was out there, my mind was incapable of fabricating it. Movies weren't the best source of information, not when I was dealing with real life. And what mattered right now in my life was making sure that the people I loved were far away from death's desperate reach for a new victim.

For a few days after the kidnapping, I laid in bed wondering what to do next. There were too many things to worry about, too many scenarios that ended in my clumsy death.

Dorian started getting worried. It hit me then, when his face was an inch from mine in an attempt to get me uncomfortable so that I'd spill the tea, that the only true family I had was sleeping next to a bomb every night.

"If you don't stop being in my personal space, I will actually press my gay lips to your lips."

He gasped and jumped backwards like a ghost had dragged him by his neck.

"Not again, please," he begged, his face wrinkling as he fake cried.

"Thank you."

"Wait, we literally sleep together."

"Sleeping in the same bed because you're too poor to afford a comfortable living space isn't the same as pushing your face close to mine to find the tea inside my pores."

"Tea . . . inside . . . pores," he said out loud, typing the words into his phone.

"What are you doing?"

"I've been trying to go viral on Twitter."

"Oh, okay. Good luck."

He put his phone away and crawled back to the bed. We sat in silence, staring at each other like we were trying to communicate telepathically.

"Nothing?" he asked.

"Still nothing."

"One day."

When we went to sleep, I waited until I knew he was fast asleep and snuck away. I was afraid that I'd wake him up if I started panicking about my situation. The night Elijah brought me home, I woke Dorian up with my crying. I came up with some bullshit lie to him calm down and make him believe it was nothing. Unfortunately for me, this was Dorian. He didn't believe anything and I knew he'd start snooping around. If he somehow accidentally stumbled upon my new secret life, there would be no turning back.

I needed to protect him. And that was the reason I decided to message both Cedric and Elijah. I sent them a simple message to meet me at a location. This was yesterday.