💀 Chapter 6 💀

It was currently the 25th of May

   It was currently the 25th of May. A few weeks had passed since I first moved to California with my best-friend. A lot had happened, but at the same time not much did. My new job was demanding. I had crazy hours and had to take the bus when Dorian couldn't drive me. Eric was right about the intense physical labor. I was positive I grew new muscles I never knew could exist under all that soft skin. The tan was a work in progress—most of my time was spent inside the warehouse, not outside.

I was afraid. A familiar feeling was slowly creeping back into my life. A feeling that weighed me down until it felt like my lungs were being squeezed under all the pressure.

Life was boring, I realized. If you weren't filthy rich, then you were struggling day-to-day, hoping to make it through, just so you could do it all over again. Running away from my little town wasn't solving my problems, it was only giving me new ones.

Dorian had no clue what was going through my head. He was enjoying his time in California and I wasn't going to ruin his mood by complaining. The move was great, regardless of how I felt. There was so much to do in this new world and so many new people to meet. Just in my job alone I met hundreds of people. Bear in mind, I wasn't friends with any of them, but it was more people than I had ever served at my old bartender job.

Yet, I still felt empty.

My new problems weren't big enough for me to wish I hadn't moved. I was thankful that I tagged along. I just needed to give it a little more time, and maybe find a different job. I never went to college, never could afford to. My options were limited. But this job? It was bad.

Every day I woke up early as fuck with Dorian's limbs twisted with my own in the small bed. And yes, I did feel like we were practically married at this point. We woke up, showered (Not together), brushed our teeth, had a quick breakfast, and drove half an hour to our destination. I would not see Dorian till my day was over, because I worked longer than him. He would go home and come back when I was out.

Today was no different and that was the problem. I didn't want to fall into a routine.

I was eating a delicious Indian breakfast that Sonam made for us after she found out I started skipping breakfast. She woke up just a little earlier than us to cook a whole meal. She was super happy watching us eat, but we had to eat fast if we wanted to be on time.

On the way out of the apartment, my phone rang. For a second I thought it was going to be Chance since he called me at least once a week. He texted everyday, so the calling was nothing. But it was not him, it was my job calling me. My heart raced fast as I answered.

"Hello?"

"Hello, Mr. Mars." It was a woman, not one that I recognized, and I knew everyone's voice by now.

"Hi."

"Your schedule has been changed. Your new hours are from 1PM to 12AM. Thank you." She hung up fast.