Chapter 5

My new home was apparently in Los Angeles

   My new home was apparently in Los Angeles. The chances of meeting Cedric again went down to zero. I wasn't delusional, though, I knew the chances were already low considering how large California was. It would have been nice, he was nice.

Dorian's new place—or should I say our—was located in a gated community, a three story apartment building in the color beige, surrounded by patches of dead grass and sad looking flowers. It wasn't that bad, I had seen worse.

"What if they don't let me stay?" I asked for the billionth time.

"I'm gonna bitch slap you," Dorian said.

"Do it! Wake me up from this dream and tell me I didn't just fucking travel across the United States to come to California."

"I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but we're here." He gave my back a strong pat as we stared up at our apartment building among the many others. "But just in case, let me go in first. You wait out here and start unloading the car."

"That's reassuring," I said as he walked away.

One by one, I removed each box from the trunk and set it down on the pavement. Most were heavy, but small in size. Dorian kept his clothes in the backseat, next to more boxes; these larger and weighing less. I pulled out the heavy suitcases stuffed with his clothes and shoes. By the time he was back, all of the boxes were neatly stacked and ready to be moved.

"Lucian!" Dorian shouted, being followed by two people who I assumed were the two other roommates. "Meet Sonam and Eric."

Sonam sneaked around Dorian, eagerly approaching me with both hands behind her back in a cute way. She was a tiny girl, dark-brown skin, long black hair twisted in a really cool braid, and these big brown eyes painted with black eyeliner.

"Hi, Lucian!" The way she smiled made my fears evaporate. She had a genuinely kind and friendly smile. "It's very nice to meet you."

"He's gay," Dorian whispered, loud enough for Sonam to hear.

She paid no attention to him.

"Nice to meet you too," I said back.

"Dorian told us about you, but we didn't think you'd be joining too." She must have seen my Adam's apple move when I tried to swallow my nerves, because she stopped smiling and looked apologetic immediately. "It's okay! You are welcome here! Dorian is our friend and that means you are our friend too!"

Eric stepped forward and grabbed my hand before I could even offer it. Eric was wearing a sports hat and black sunglasses. He was around the same height as me, black hair sticking out from under the hat and glowing tan skin.

"May the fourth be with you," he said, letting go of my hand after shaking it roughly.

"What?"