Chapter 14

Engulfed in terror, my eyes sprung open at the sound of an eerie car alarm blasting outside. I was staring up at the ceiling of my apartment, my body lying uncomfortably on the couch like someone had tried to fix me in a sleeping position, but got interrupted halfway. The alarm didn't belong to anyone I knew. It was a bit to the distance, too far to be Dorian's, Sonam's or even Eric's. It still kept going for a couple of minutes while my eyes adjusted to the darkness.

I couldn't figure out what was happening. My eyes were heavy and blurry, but not because of exhaustion or something normal. My skin shivered as it felt and remembered heavy liquid pouring hard. Flashes of red exploded in my mind like the aftermath of a zombie massacre. Pieces of my memory were there, desperately climbing to reach the surface and give me clarity, but everything was too heavy.

I tapped my pockets to find my phone, slid my hands inside and pulled out the device. My eyes burned at the light of my screen when I checked the time. It was five in the morning and I had one unread message from four hours ago. It was from Elijah.

Can't sleep. Are you awake?

I responded, apologizing for missing his text, but that I was awake now. To my surprise, he replied in a flash.

I don't know if you only said it to get me to leave, but I'm free today if you want to go out.

I meant it, I texted back.

I thought about today and what was in store for me. Last night was a sloppy blur, but I wasn't oblivious — something dark happened to me. I remembered Ciaran, but not what he said. I remembered the mask, but not what I did with it. I was certain that as the day started, and the confusion wore off my mind, I'd recall everything that happened, but maybe I didn't want to know.

I'm free today. What do you have in mind? I texted again.

It has to be during the day. Do you care if we do it early? Like around lunch time or even earlier?

I agreed to the date, despite my mind wanting to rest. There was a part of me that wanted to forget what happened last night, bury it deep in the far corners of my mind and leave it there to rot, but I was afraid that if I stayed home in bed, I'd do nothing but think about it. At least going out would keep my mind running, never letting myself think about it until I was ready to process it.

When our conversation ended, I tried to go back to sleep, but found it practically impossible. I laid quietly in the couch, closed my eyes, and thought about anything but the blood. I summoned old memories from my past, like the first time I met Dorian, my first job, the first time someone shouted a slur at me, and even my first relationship, which brought me back to the beginning, to Cedric. We weren't in a relationship, but since we had something going on, I thought of him, and then to last night.