Chapter 2

"Lucian, please . . ." Chance tried to stop me from leaving my room, putting a hand on my chest and pushing me away from the door.

I couldn't even look him in the eyes. The rage in my blood was boiling hot. It was taking every ounce of self-control to not lash out at him and make a scene in front of everyone.

But if he wanted to do this, I wasn't going to hold anything back.

"We have been dating for four months," I said, keeping my voice nice and low. "Why the fuck do you think it's a good idea to propose?"

"Because I love you and I know what I want."

"What about what I want?" I said, finally looking into his eyes. I must have struck a chord, because his eyes went shiny with tears. "Yeah, makes you think, doesn't it? I've never brought it up because I know how you are."

"What is that supposed to mean?" he said.

I shook my head in disappointment. It was like talking to a wall. I pushed him aside and ran out of my room, making my way through the packed living room as he yelled at me, but the music was too loud for me to understand what he was shouting. Once I was out of the tight apartment, I made sure I wasn't being followed before taking the elevator down to the ground floor.

It was peaceful when I walked outside. It had long stopped raining and the sky was clear of any ominous clouds. I took the sidewalk and began walking in no particular direction. I followed the moon, set on being happily content wherever it took me as long as it was far from here.

It was hard fighting the anger inside me. I wanted to scream until my lungs shriveled up like a balloon. Why did my life have to be so complicated? For once couldn't it just be like this town? Might as well match the theme, right? But even that was too complicated. I started thinking about my parents and how it would be now if I could speak to them. Would they have been the kind of parents that wanted me to go to them when things got hard? What would they even say to me in this situation?

Oh, who was I fooling? My father bailed when he found out my mom was pregnant and my mother died from an overdose. The only good thing they gave me was life, and that was pushing it.

Dorian was my only true family. That was the reason it was so hard for me to accept that he was leaving.

My mind burst in colors as I reminisced about the first time we ever met, back when his face was round and full of acne, and the only girls he talked to were the anime girls on TV. He had always been so positive about how everyone treated him, not ever letting the horrible things being said bother him. He always said he never did anything about it because a town like this would need more than one person to change its mind. The only time he ever intervened was when it involved me. I couldn't blame him, I did the same. Whenever someone wanted to be racist and act like it wasn't a big deal, I'd get into physical fights trying to defend him. I wasn't the type to lecture people about what was wrong or right, especially when they weren't going to listen. Dorian and I spent a lot of time in detention because we fought for each other.