💀 Chapter 24 💀

After landing and going through the obnoxious clapping stage, we exited the plane and stepped foot on the infamous state of Florida. A place I never imagined I would have visited.

Ever.

It was still dark outside, but the morning sun should be arriving any time. I could almost feel the heat coming like a far away explosion. This airport was big and packed despite being so early. There were a few angry groups of people forming lines at a counter near a gate, and the further we went through the airport, the more angry people I saw. Could this have anything to do with the storm? Maybe some of the flights were being canceled due to the hurricane coming from the east. I understood it could be frustrating if your important flight got canceled, but what did you expect them to do? Fly through it? Whisper some magic words to evaporate the hurricane?

Once again, like a lost little puppy, I followed Elijah with my tail between my legs until we stopped at a bathroom. He motioned me to follow him in. I obeyed, but a part of me was worried that he wanted to go to a second round. Unfortunately for him I was terribly exhausted and if I did want to go again, it would not be in a public bathroom, no matter how shiny and clean it was. Luckily, part two was not what was waiting, instead it was Cedric, who was in the corner of the empty bathroom with his back against the wall.

"Cedric," I said, relieved to see him.

"Flight okay?" he asked.

"Yeah, slept through most of it."

Elijah walked up to him, pulled out some money from his wallet and passed him keys and some cash.

"We'll meet you there," Elijah said quietly.

Cedric nodded and hid the money in his pockets. It didn't seem like a suspicious amount. I could have sworn I saw a few dozen twenty dollar bills.

"Where are we going?" I asked as Elijah pulled me away, leaving Cedric in the bathroom.

"We're just gonna meet him at another location," he said, his eyes wandering around, searching.

The chances of Lords chasing us to Florida never felt low. Lords didn't seem like the type to give up easily, especially with how persistent they were. Some were suspicious of me, but I never gave off any threatening vibes and I certainly did not do anything to gain any kind of unwanted attention. I hoped and prayed that I was a low priority on their list of suspicious people. And since Elijah was a very important person to their ex-leader, this theoretically should lower the chances even more . . . considering I was his wife.

But this was most of all, wishful thinking.

We left the airport and Elijah called for an Uber. It was a couple of minutes away so we had to wait around. This gave me time to take in the Floridian night sky. I could see a glimmer of light in the distance slowly creeping up.