Chapter 13

"And what did you say?" Sonam leaned forward, slowly sliding off the couch as she waited for my response

"I was sitting right next to him. I wasn't going to say no and suffer through an awkward car ride."

Her eyes narrowed suspiciously. "But . . . you did want to say yes, right?"

I shrugged even though my answer was a clear yes.

When Cedric popped the question last night, his nervous laughter that he usually responded with after I said something gay, became my own response, and not even because he was asking me out, but because in my hands, I was holding the same question asked by a different guy — and they were both waiting for an answer.

After a short pause, I agreed to go out with Cedric, but never responded to Elijah. It was different when you were face to face. At least with a phone, I could think about it peacefully.

"He messaged me this morning," I said, dangling my phone in my right hand like it was a hot potato that I couldn't hold for too long.

"Cedric?"

"Elijah. Cedric hasn't messaged me today."

"What did Elijah say?"

"He's thinks he scared me away."

Sonam slapped my knee. "Don't torture the poor guy."

"I'm not doing it on purpose."

"You are totally doing it on purpose. Why don't you want to respond to him?"

"I don't know . . ." My mind drifted away, thinking about the two boys who were insanely hot and somehow attracted to me. What the hell did they see in me? There was not a single drop of special in my blood. I was a bag of boring.

"Just go out with both of them," she said.

"Isn't that kinda wrong?"

"Says who? You're single — Date as many people as you want until you find the one who makes your brown star tingle."

"I feel so brand new at this," I sighed, falling back on the couch and laying down.

Sonam stood up as we heard a knock on the front door. "You are so young, Lucian," she said, disappearing from my view as she went to answer the door. "You have plenty of time to get all of the experience you need." When she opened the door, she laughed out loud like some maniac.

"Hello, gorgeous."

I'd recognize that voice anywhere — even deep below the ocean, in the unnerving darkness where mysteries dwelled. The timing was peculiar, but not out of the realm of possibilities for Elijah. That boy was something else.

I sunk lower into the couch, hoping he wouldn't see me.

"What do you want?"

"Is Lucian home?"