Chapter 1

I looked down at my watch for what might be the seventh time in the last ten minutes

I looked down at my watch for what might be the seventh time in the last ten minutes. I had clocked out of work about half an hour ago and had been standing in the rain, waiting for my ride to show up. The weather was not friendly tonight; the wind blew hard against my face and the cold rain drenched me.

I shuddered and hid my hands in my pockets, hoping to save any warmth left in my body. My hair was so wet it stuck to my face like glue. Every now and then when it got too much, I shook my head like a dog drying itself.

Normally, being let out early from work was exciting, but when I realized how much time was being wasted just waiting, it only made me feel depressed, especially because of how special tonight was. The last thing I wanted was to be late to my bestfriend's farewell party.

I thought of how angry Dorian would be if I missed the party. A party that was conveniently located in our apartment that we shared. He would name me the worst bestfriend of the entire world, officially. I could even picture his face, half serious and half humorous with that perfect white smile that he couldn't hide.

A car honked in the distance and my heart was brought back to life after the gloomy weather had drained me of any hope. Dark, but the truth.

For a second I wanted to wring my shirt before getting in the car, but Chance deserved to have his car flooded for making me wait so long. It was the least I could do.

I jumped into the passenger side when the car stopped in front of me. I shook my hair once I was seated and splashed everywhere.

"Really?" Chance said, sounding annoyed.

I looked back at him and pressed my lips together into a big, obnoxious smile.

"What took you so long?" I asked as I relaxed back.

Chance had an arm resting on the steering wheel and the other on his lap, telling me he had no intentions of driving away immediately. I also noticed he was wearing a suit, something that wasn't even in his closet. Our friend group always dressed like we were on a budget. The farewell party was important, but it wasn't formal. I was suspiciously confused.

"I had something to do!" he said defensively.

"Can we go?" I said, not pushing it. I slouched back on the seat and pulled my legs up, sitting in a way that made elders scowl at me.

"Lucian?"

"Hm?" I said, not looking at him as I became distracted by my phone.

"I haven't seen you all day," he said, his tone quiet and rather sad.

My attention went to him. He was watching me with innocent eyes. I also stared at him, watched how his skin glistened from the rainy day, but compared to me he was as dry as the Sahara desert.