Chapter 15

I wasn't certain that I was ready for this.

Last night I had a dream that made things clearer to me. Ever since I moved away from the town I lived in my whole life, I had been fiercely diving into a world parents warned their kids about before bed, to scare them from ever cutting the leash wrapped tightly around their bruised necks. The dangerous world you only saw in movies, one so far away that it almost felt like it belonged in a fantasy book . . . or a dream.

It started off peacefully with me walking over a stone path covered in snow. And like every dream, there were faceless figures that emerged from the shadows, too unrecognizable and insignificant that even their own voices were distorted.

Eventually the path led me to a section where the snow began to melt off, slowly revealing the black dirt beneath the white blanket. The dream had suddenly become a nightmare and I was no longer seeing alien faces. Instead I saw my mother.

She was disturbingly thin. Her skin was so tight and pale that you could mistake her for a skeleton in the pale moonlight. This was how my brain decided to remember her—sick, beyond help, and at the brink of death. Her hollow eyes stared back at me, lids snapping open as her boney fingers stretched out towards me.

It hurt knowing that my mother was a stranger to me. I was too young when she died and had no memories to recall. Her presence in my dream was a photo that came to life in the most twisted way possible.

Her hands were shaking as they tried to grab me, but I recoiled and her body vanished into a million pieces.

I didn't know what that meant, but it got worse.

While marching further down the path, I came across Cedric and Elijah. Cedric was on his knees with his head hanging low, his body frozen like a marble statue, and Elijah was in front of him pointing a gun at his head.

Like Cedric, my body went stiff. Elijah wore the same emotionless look he had that night when he killed a man. I wanted to scream at him to drop the gun and stop this madness, but he shot before I could even take a breath. The bullet pierced Cedric's skull, only something weird happened afterwards. The bullet came out through the back of Elijah's head as if he had shot himself. They dropped dead simultaneously.

The path began to move like an autowalk, giving me zero time to process what I had seen, like if the dream was its own entity and it wanted me to keep moving.

The next person was the last in this strange dream.

Dorian.

My best-friend, my brother, my soulmate. His body laid cold at the end of this phantasmagorical road. His limbs were broken, black blood pooled under his body, his eyes stayed open with black tears dripping down his cheek.

That was enough to jolt my body awake. I woke up that morning with a feverish tremor that only went away when my best-friend woke up alive and well.