Chapter 4

It felt like I was doing something I wasn't supposed to do

   It felt like I was doing something I wasn't supposed to do. Something my parents strongly forbid. But I had no parents. I had been on my own for a long time; a true adult with his own responsibilities. So why did it feel like I was breaking the rules? It was scary, and perhaps that was the only reason it felt so wrong. I was throwing myself into unknown territory with no clear map for my future. Anything could happen.

And that excited me.

The ride from my little invisible town in Wisconsin to California would take a day and a half without stopping to rest. That was why we decided to take turns driving. Dorian wouldn't need to stop and waste money at a motel and we could get there sooner and start planning what to do with my fucking life.

An hour into the drive it finally started to hit me. It was like an out-of-body experience. I was sitting quietly, feeling the wind on my face, hearing the rustling of the bag tucked between my legs, when I had a Raven Baxter moment.

"Where am I going to sleep? How am I going to get a job? How will I afford food? How will I pay bills in such an expensive state?" The more I went on, the louder I got, until I was screaming in panic. Dorian screamed back, but a high-pitched girly scream. "WHY ARE YOU SCREAMING?"

"THE THOUGHT OF RESPONSIBILITIES!" He was gripping the steering wheel like he was trying to choke it, and his eyes were all big and animated.

"WELL, YEAH!" I screamed back. "YOU'RE PRACTICALLY KIDNAPPING ME."

"IT'S NOT KIDNAPPING, HOW DARE YOU! TAKE THAT BACK!"

"NO!"

"I WILL DRIVE THIS CAR INTO A LAKE, DON'T TRY ME!"

"DORIAN! HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO DO THIS?!"

"BY TRUSTING ME!"

"LAST TIME I TRUSTED YOU WITH SOMETHING THIS BIG I ENDED UP IN A COMA FOR A WEEK!"

"OH, PLEASE! YOU'RE ACTING LIKE YOU WERE IN A COMA FOR TWELVE YEARS, IT WAS ONLY A FEW DAYS!"

"Dorian," I said calmly, bringing my tone down back to normal levels. "This is my life we're talking about. We do a lot of stupid shit, but me moving away at the last second . . . it doesn't seem very smart, does it?"

He pursed his lips at me. "We're not known for being smart, Lucian."

I sighed. "Please . . ."

"I'm not turning this car around," he argued, shaking his head, but safely keeping his eyes on the road. "I know you're scared, but I would never do something bad to you. There's a building right in front of where I'll be working. I know they're hiring, a friend mentioned it at one point. I will help you get a job there, all you'll do is move things. As long as you aren't incredibly weak, you'll be fine. And of course, you will sleep with me, on my bed, together forever."