Chapter 7

I wasn't sleeping

   I wasn't sleeping. I couldn't sleep. The gun had a silencer when it had went off, but somehow the sound still managed to bounce around in my head like a loud broken record. It already didn't help that my schedule had turned upside down. It would take me some time to adjust, but with the bangs exploding in my head, how could I?

I told no one of the incident. That Elijah person knew my face, knew I was a witness to the murder of that man. As long as that was the case, I wouldn't dare involve my friends in this mess. What if they came back, kidnapped me, and tortured me to find out if I told anyone? I'd rather swallow the secret than be the next one on my knees.

The next day I could barely get out of bed. My body ached like crazy from the lack of sleep. I had no idea how I'd even be able to work, but being fired was not on my list of things to do right now. I did want to ask my boss to change my hours again. I knew it wasn't going to be in my favor, but I had to try something.

"Lucian? Hello? Is anyone in there?"

I blinked and forced to look as normal as possible.

"Yeah, what's up?" I answered Dorian.

"Are you okay?"

"I'm just tired."

We were at a stop light on our way to my hell of a job. I was finding it tough trying to stay focused. I tried to use objects around me as a crutch to stay elevated, but nothing seemed to stop the weight on my eyelids.

"We've barely been able to hang out since we moved," Dorian said.

"We haven't hung out since we moved," I corrected him.

He sighed. "Yeah, we need to change that."

"I'm not gonna lie to you," I started, hoping that he wouldn't be angry with me, "but I'm contemplating quitting the job. Not right now, but maybe once I save up enough to give myself time to find another one."

"Yeah, of course. You know I'll always help you and support you. If you're not happy with the job, you can quit."

"Thanks." I wish I could sound more grateful, but that was the best anyone could get out of me right now.

"Sonam is telling me you aren't eating." His tone was too close to dad-mode and it bothered me.

"I eat," I stated suspiciously.

"Don't lie to me, Lucy."

"I do!" I said defensively. "Not a lot, but I do. I don't have the time to make food. It's not my fault."

"Don't worry, I'm gonna go grocery shopping today. I'm gonna buy you some good shit that you can easily heat up and eat. I'm gonna stuff you the only non-gay way I can and make you thick and juicy."

"I think I never want to eat again."

When Dorian dropped me at work, I headed straight for the main office to talk to the boss. I knocked on the door and his loud voice answered, telling me to enter. The boss was sitting down on a leather chair, his stomach large and pushing up against his mahogany desk. I was merely a second in his office and he already looked annoyed with me.