The Bastard of Ketterdam

This is a stupid and risky mission. What choice did I really have though? If I didn't retrieve the item for my boss I would be in alot of trouble.Likely dead come sunrise.

Did it have to be his office though? Kaz Brekker was a man not shy about committing violence and spilling blood to get what he wanted.

I flinched at the memory of the aftermath of the last altrication our group,the Serpents, had with his Crows. I had barely escaped alive and I didn't leave unscathed.

I tentivately ran my fingers along the wicked scar on my left forearm. The injury had stretched from my wrist up to my elbow. It had been a constant painful reminder of the life I had been forced into.

No woman my age had aspirations to become a thief or an assassin but life had other plans for me it seemed. Now here I was in my enemy's office, foolishly attempting to steal something from a man who made his living taking what he wanted from anyone who stood in his way.

I shivered again in remembrance of the sting of the silver blade that had split my skin that awful night. The  cooper tinged air as my blood and the blood of both my friends and enemies filled the night air. Thankful of my survival instinct and training. I had instinctly punched my assailant hard in his smug beautiful face. I had delighted hearing his grunt of pain and the crunch of bone as I had broken Kaz's nose.

With his blood coating my fists mixing with my own I never forgot the eyes that pierced mine as he wiped away his blood with the back of one gloved hand.

"Shit where is this stupid thing?" I muttered as I carefully rummaged through drawers and cabinets. I was on edge and startled at any noise I heard outside the office.

I finally found a hidden compartment tucked inside the bottom desk drawer. I smiled hearing the release of the locking mechanism. Lifting the lossened latch I sighed in relief when I saw what had been carefully placed inside the secret space.

" Finally." I whispered. I blew out a relieved breath lifting the clothe covered object from the confines of the drawer.

I needed to see what I was risking my life for and my curiosity was piqued.  Removing the cloth I balanced the small silver container in my open palm.

" Really this is what I'm risking my neck for? A pill container. These fucking bastards." I seethed.

It was then I felt the other presence in the shadowed corner of the office. I pulled my favorite dagger from my wrist sheath whirling to face the figure that had somehow entered the office without making any noise.

I tossed my knife and heard the clang of steel. I watched in dismay as my only dagger went spiraling across to the other end of the office where it landed harmlessly on the plush red carpet.

The laugh that followed made my skin crawl.The man spoke softly," That does not belong to you."

My heart beat frantically within my chest. My breathing became irratic. This was Kaz Brekker, The Bastard of Ketterdam himself and I was trapped with the devil in his office.

I was able to find my voice despite my nerves as I said," It also does not belong to you, you bastard!"

Kaz quirked an elegant brow as he stepped from the dark shadow into the spill of moonlight filtering through the large window encompassing most of the right wall. The only source of light in the room currently.

The head of his walking cane glinted in the moonlight, the carved crow's ruby eyes casting twin beams of eery red light across his desk.

He was silently assessing me and it made me want to retreat further into the opposite corner of the large office, but I stood my ground. I knew I couldn't show him any weakness to exploit if I wanted to get out of this confrontation alive.