Dining With My Darkness

I was sitting on the end of the large bed watching the doorway as Carlson unlocked the door and stepped into the room.

He looked at me approvingly as he said gruffly, " Let's go."

I got off the bed and slowly walked over to him. I made sure to keep enough space between us in case he decided to lunge for me.  I hated that I had keep myself on guard around him but it was what it was.

I let him lead me down some hallways and down a large flight of stairs. He took us into a large room off to the right of the main foyer.

I saw the large dining table lined with silver dishes,some were covered while the others were not.

The mixed aromas of all the food were delicious and my stomach growled in response.

I hadn't had real food in a few days and my body needed the extra nutrients now.

I tried to hide how hungry I actually was from Carlson because he could easily deny me the chance to eat any of it should the mood strike him.

I watched him slide out a chair, he waited for me to move over to him.  Why he was trying to be chivalrous I had no idea and it was making me nervous, the behavior was very unlike him.

I settled myself into the seat he'd moved out for me and I flinched as he pushed me to the table. I waited for him to touch me in some way but he moved away from me instead.

He loaded a plate of food for me,even pouring me a glass of white wine.

I waited until he moved over to sit in his own seat before I started eating.

I resisted moaning out loud as I savored each bite. I felt myself becoming more energized.

I didn't touch the wine and it made Carlson snap at me from his seat, " It's a rare vintage and cost me a small fortune. Are you not going to even try it?"

I bristled at his tone. I didn't want to alert him to my condition so I made a show of lifting the glass. I tipped it moving the liquid inside against my lips.

" Mhmm. This is delicious, thank you." I said softly as I set the glass back down.

Carlson frowned at me but seemed content I'd at least obeyed him.

I watched him shovel some mashed potatoes in his mouth followed by steamed vegetables and a big slab of beef coated in gravy. The juices of the meat leaked down his chin and I had to look away. I focused my attention back on my own plate, taking my time to cut my meat into small pieces.

I glanced up at Carlson and he wasn't looking my way at the moment. I took the unique opportunity to slip a butter knife into a napkin and slide both quickly inside of my boot.I made sure to push the napkin down so it couldn't be seen.

I took a few more bites of the vegetables and I felt that I couldn't eat anymore.

I knew I wouldn't be dismissed until Carlson wanted me to be so I made a show of moving the leftovers around on my plate with my fork.

When Carlson finally looked over at me again,he noticed I wasn't eating anymore. He growled at me," Are you still sick? You need to take better care of yourself. I have standards that I expect of my women, you know this. You've lost weight and I'm missing those curves ."

I had to focus my breathing as his words made my stomach flip. I couldn't afford to be sick again. I needed the energy to fight.  I was getting out of here,I could no longer afford to stay.

"Carlson I'm sorry but I'm tired. I guess I still am not entirely over the illness. I just need some uninterrupted sleep. May I please be excused?" I feigned weariness to make my statement more believing