Kaz-Suffering

He hadn't slept in days.  He was frustrated and felt himself slipping back into his old ways. He didn't want to be the old version of himself but it was the person who got the job finished no matter what had to be done. His enemies left him no choice but to become dirty hands once again.

The first night after the fiasco in the Crow Club he had gathered his men and set some new expectations. He bruised a few jaws and broken a few bones. Managed to ferret out the traitor in his midst. He was disgusted to know the bastard had been able to fool him, to have been living carefree under his roof, under his protection ,spending his Kaz's money, all the while giving his enemies information about his operations. Kaz's ears still rang from the man's high pitched screams. At first the traitor had begged, made excuses for his actions. When the cutting started, the screams were for an entirely different reason.  Kaz thankfully had enough patience left to extract useful information from the honourless bastard before he'd ended his unworthy life. 

Inej had made it a habit to visit him first thing each morning. She knew he wasn't sleeping and she knew he had slipped back down to his dark place. She didn't try to convince him to fight against it.  She'd surprised him by doing the opposite, she'd stoked the flames within him and pushed him to dig even deeper within himself and fight harder and meaner.

Inej found Kaz reading a map when she entered his room.  She settled on the end of his bed to wait. When he glanced over his shoulder at her he found that she was fidgeting with her blades.

She was becoming even more frantic then he was too get Amira back and he had no idea why.

Something was going on and he was so tired of being blindsided.

He decided to force her to tell him everything that morning.

"What has you so anxious Inej? Amira was not your favorite person that long ago. Why is her disappearance affecting you like this? I've never known you to be so unsettled." Kaz questioned her.

Tears filled Inej's eyes as she faced him.  His heart thundered in his chest now,he was afraid of what Inej was going to say to him next.

"Kaz... saints Kaz I'm so sorry I shouldn't be the one to tell you this but you have to know.  Amira thought she might be pregnant. It's why I ended up cracking her rib in our spar the other day. My kick was going towards her stomach and she panicked and turned but I didn't have enough time to pull out of the kick.Kaz we have to get her back. "

Kaz felt his legs giving out under him. He couldn't grip his cane his hands felt numb. Inej thankfully caught his arm and prevented him from smashing his knees on the ground.

" Come on Kaz sit down please." Inej said softly as she helped him sit on the end of his bed.

Kaz couldn't believe what Inej had just told him. It helped him understand why Amira had been so unwilling to tell him what was going on earlier.  Kaz had told Amira he didn't want to have children,that he didn't see himself being a father. 

Hearing it spoken aloud, the possibility that the woman he loved could be carrying his child, it had his heart racing. Amira was in the hands of a monster. If Carlson discovered she was pregnant she would be in even more danger.

" Christ Inej I have to find her.  I need to get her away from that madman. If he finds out she's carrying my child he'll use that as a weapon against me.  I...I cannot lose her. " Kaz said brokenly and hung his head in his hands. He felt so guilty for not protecting Amira, for not foreseeing what would happen.  He was ashamed to have been so confident he would succeed,that he'd failed to notice the signs that a traitor was in their company.

He had been so foolish to want to just plan for a future when his enemy was still alive and still very much a threat to them.

Inej met his troubled expression as she said seriously," We will Kaz,we will.

Jesper came into the room then with a big smile on his face.  Kaz wasn't really in a good mood for his usual games. He looked up at Jesper asking him, "What is it Jesper?"

Jesper replied eagerly," Someone is here for you Kaz, says he knows where Amira is. Says he was asked to come find you. Amira send him to us Kaz, she's okay. We can find her now.  We can bring her back home to us."

Kaz felt his lungs deflate as his breathe left him in a whoosh.  His heart raced as he got up off the bed. His hand shook on his cane and he still felt unsteady on his feet but he was determined to get out of this room and talk to the man Amira had sent to him.  His beautiful,brave,smart woman was making moves and setting up her success even without his help. She really was the one for him.

The three of them raced out of Kaz's room and went to meet the messenger.

Kaz eyed the big man as he entered his office. Inej followed him like a shadow. Old habits were hard to break.

Kaz really wanted to just launch into questioning the man, desperate as he was for information, but he didn't want to show how much Amira's loss was impacting him in case this was a ploy.

He settled himself behind his desk and steppled his hands on his desk leaning in to take the man's measure.

To the big man's credit he didn't seem to care about Kaz or the fact he found himself in the proverbial lion's den. He nodded politely to Inej first before returning his attention back to Kaz.

"Mr. Brekker sir, pleasure to make your acquaintance. I come to you today to assist you with freeing Miss Weston. She asked me to find you. She said you'd help my family too. Keep them safe from Carlson. Sir I don't care what may happen to me, but I need your word you'll help them,my family. "

Kaz narrowed his eyes at the man. " What's your name? Why are you betraying your boss. Do you not have any allegiance to him?"

The man flinched as if Kaz had struck him. " Delton Darlington is my name and I am only working for Mr. Carlson because of a bad gamble. I tried my luck at the tables and I lost.I couldn't pay the amount I owed so I was given a choice. I could work off my debt or I could bleed and they'd come for my family to repay the loss. I am a good man. I was raised proper by my God fearing Momma. I love my family Mr. Brekker and I'll do anything to keep them safe, just as I imagine you will for your own.  Little Miss is a brave one. She is staying strong sir but she isn't a match for the brutality of my boss. You need my help to find her this I know and I will gladly help you if you promise me you'll help keep my family safe from any repercussion of my actions here today."

Kaz nodded at Delton and had him relay details of his family's whereabouts.

Kaz looked to Inej who had taken up her usual perch on his windowsill. She nodded at him and slipped silently from the office. She would secure this man's family and bring them here until everything was over.

Kaz put his hand out over the desk and waited for the big man to take it. Delton shook his hand and looked relieved.  A tension he'd been carrying lifted off his shoulders.

Jesper clasped Delton on the shoulder giving the man a big smile as he told him," Kaz is a man of his word. Plus you're looking out for our family so we'll see to yours big man. "

Kaz was beyond inpatient now so he got right to the point " Where is she Delton? Where is my woman?"

He listened as the man shared the information he had been seeking and he tried his best to hide his relief for finally knowing where Amira was being held. Now it was a matter of knowing the layout of the building and details about the defenses Carlson had built around himself.

Kaz said a silent prayer that everything would work in his favor.

Don't worry darling I'm coming.