The Wraith

I took my time to look around the cozy space. This room was also lushly carpeted. The carpet here a rich burgundy. A polished cedar, four poster bed was tucked into the far corner of the room. The bed covered in red silk, a collection of decorative pillows in many shapes and sizes were laid along the headboard. A thick burgundy quilt lay folded at the foot of the bed.

A matching cedar dresser and vanity  lined the wall with a large window. The top pane of the window was a beautiful stained glass rose. I looked forward to seeing it in the daylight.

I moved over to inspect the many bottles of lotions and perfumes on the vanity. I wondered if Kaz had a preference for how a woman should smell. I sighed as I shook that thought out of my mind, it served me no purpose to think such things. I saw that a silver brush and porcelain vase filled with white roses completed the collection of objects tastefully arranged on the vanity. Whoever Kaz hired to decorate his club I hope he paid them well. I was certainly not used to such extravagance.

I noticed there was another room to the far left of the bedroom. I made my way over towards it's open doorway and peered inside. This was a private washroom. There was a large clawfoot porcelain tub in the centre of the room and to my shock it had been filled with streaming water.

"Just when the hell had that been set up?" I muttered as I stepped into the room. There were candles lit by the tub casting a soft glow.

A thick robe and towel had been folded neatly on the edge of the tub. Beside the tub, a trolley filled with oils and soaps,a jar of rose petals and a sponge on a stick. 

I smiled as I rushed to undress.It had been a while since I got to have a bath in private. With my old crew we had had to share and by the time id been able to soak, the water had become cold. There had never been time to simply soak, it was always a quick wash and rinse and then bundling myself in my blankets before a fire.

I also cringed at the memory of the men ogling me as I had bathed. The shared tub had been placed in the middle of the rows of beds where we slept in the evenings.

I had at first been very shy about my nudity but I grew used to it over time.

I didn't bother trying to arrange my soiled clothing as I was much to eager to get in that tub. I slid gratefully under the warm water. I moaned at the sensation of heat penetrating my aching muscles. I closed my eyes briefly as I leaned back against the tub.

The dichotomy of life with the Serpents and the things I was discovering being with the Crows was making my head spin.

I nearly jumped out of my skin when I heard the soft feminine voice say from the darkened corner," You must think you are something special don't you?"

I watched as Inej slid from the shadows. She in turn watched me as she settled herself against the wall beside the washroom's exit.

I initially thought I should get out of the tub but I didn't want her to think I felt threatened by her so I relaxed myself and reached over the tub to pull some lavender soap off the trolley.

I didn't look at her as I started soaping myself.

" I am no more special than the next person Inej. Why are you in my bathroom anyway?" I asked her

Inej frowned as I continued to soap myself attempting to appear unruffled by her presence. I did finally look over to her though. I realized she had my dagger in her hands. I wanted to rip it out from her grasp. It was one my only possessions and it was special to me. I restrained from acting on the impulse as I knew enough not to expose weakness to anyone.

" Kaz likes to collect broken things. He has a savior complex. You don't matter to him.You are just a tool to use." Inej mused as she tossed my dagger between her hands.

I realized what this was. Inej was jealous. She clearly had feelings for her boss.  That was certainly unexpected and I grinned as I knew now how to get under her skin.

Leaning on the edge of the tub I asked her," Inej if you like him why don't you just tell him?"

Inej flinched like I'd slapped her and she lunged at me shoving my own blade against my throat. I went still not wanting to cut myself on the razor sharp blade.

Her eyes blazed at me.I might have pushed her too far. With the coldness of my blade against my throat, I could admire how skilled Inej truly was.She knew just how much pressure to use to not cut my flesh.

I fought to remain still even as I felt her pressing the dagger edge deeper into me.

She roared at me," You know nothing about what I feel. I should kill you here and now. You're lucky I keep my word. For whatever reason Kaz wants you on the team.  I warn you now,  keep out of my way and stay the hell away from Kaz or you'll discover my true wrath."

She stepped back and I rubbed my throat. I glared at her my pride refused to let me take her threat without issuing one of my own.

" You aren't the only one who knows how to wield a blade and you don't get to threaten my wellbeing without reason.  I don't fear you wraith. Kaz hired me as part of his crew. HIS crew not yours and until he says otherwise I will follow him." I snarled back at her," I also have no romantic interest in that devil so you have no competition from me.  He's yours to pine over at your leisure. I will not be bullied by you or anyone else for that matter.  So keep to yourself and we should get along just fine. "

The lies rolled effortlessly off my tongue. She didn't deserve to know what I actually felt towards her boss. As I had no plan to act on my feelings towards Kaz anyway so she had no reason to feel threatened by me. It also wasn't my issue that she wouldn't act on her own feelings for the handsome bastard.

Inej started to leave the room but I said sternly, " Leave my blade."

Inej hestiated but gratefully decided to listen. She set the dagger on the edge of the sink and vanished from the room.

I sagged deeper in the water. That was not an encounter I wanted to repeat anytime soon. I needed to finish washing up as the water was cooling. I dunked myself beneath the water to soak my hair.

I grabbed the soap I had dropped in the tub earlier and worked some suds through my hair and when I was sure I'd scrubbed every inch of myself I dunked beneath the surface to rinse.

I stood up in the centre of the tub and poured the extra pitcher of clean water left by the tub over myself letting the suds slide from my body.

I carefully stepped out of the tub and grabbed up the towel.

I patted myself down and wrapped my hair up in the towel, twisting it up on my head. I slid into the robe and retrieved my dagger from the sink. I tucked it into the belt of the robe before I moved back into the main room to sit before the fire once again.

It had certainly been a long evening and after being so wound up I was drained so completely. Mentally,emotionally and physically.

After drying before the fire for a while I moved myself over to the bed.

Too tired to redress myself I plaited my hair and removed the wet robe. I shoved the decorative pillows over and stuck my dagger beneath my pillow. Naked as the day I was born I settled in the bed. I luxuriated at the feel of the silk against my bare skin. This was something I could get used to. I had to remember to thank Kaz in the morning.

I bundled myself in the blankets to keep away the chill and curled on my side to get comfortable.

It didn't take long for sleep to claim me with hopes of pleasant dreams.