Bruises and Broken Promises

I groaned as I rolled to my side. I had been moved onto a bed and I had been bandaged. My hand and shoulder ached but the pain wasn't as intense as it had been. I was also grateful to no longer be bleeding all over myself.

I tried to sit up but a wave of nausea crashed over me and I had to lay back down to stop my head from spinning.

" Just rest." A gentle feminine voice said from the end of the bed

I didn't try to sit up again as I glanced down the towards the voice. It was Nina.

She looked weary and she offered me a small smile noticing me watching her.

" How long was I out for? How is Kaz? Where is Inej? Where is my blade?" I bombarded Nina with questions. I felt bad for it but I needed information.

" You have been down for a few days. You had lost alot of blood. Inej is gone."

Nina was on the verge of tears. I knew the crows were a tight knit group and I was just an interloper that didn't really deserve to know about their inner dynamic until I proved myself worthy of it.

Nina pulled a chair over beside the bed and sat down.

I took a moment to look around it was a similar room to Kaz's and I was curious so I also asked Nina," Where am I right now?"

She took a moment to fill a glass with water from a pitcher that was sitting on a small table beside the bed. I was patient giving her time to compose herself.

She held the glass she filled out for me.

" Uh thanks." I said slowly sitting up to accept the glass from her. I was thankful that the dizziness had finally ebbed. I took a tentative sip as I waited for her to continue.

" This is your room. Its just down the hall from Kaz's." She said softly

My eyes widened and Nina watched me drink making sure I didn't choke. I knew she could hear that my heart beat strongly. I knew she was also aware I was anxious.

" Your blade is just there," I turned to look where she pointed and relief washed over me seeing that yes my blade was laid on a pile of clothes that had been stacked neatly on a large chest.

I refrained from reaching for my blade as I faced Nina again," Kaz?" I asked her again,embarrassed that I sounded so desperate.

Nina gave me a soft smile, " He's fine. Back to his broody self. I'm sure he'll be by shortly and you can see that for yourself."

When my eyes widened again Nina laughed at my shocked expression.

She said,"He's been coming to sit by you for the last two days. I don't know what you've done to win him over but he seems to truly care about you Amira. He was frantic when he realized how  badly you had been injured. The stubborn bastard even tore his own stitches twice trying to fight us to come see you."

I winced and she took pity on me, placing a reassuring hand on my knee.

" I will say you're very lucky to have such a man on your side. Kaz will fight for anyone who matters to him and you have been added to his list of priorities it seems."

I smirked at her, " He just doesn't like to lose Nina. I'm not that important to him. " Even though I sounded confident doubt started creeping into my thoughts.

Nina shook her head at me which made me suddenly very nervous," You're wrong about him Amira." She said

" I don't deserve his attention. I caused him alot of trouble already." I muttered.

" I'll decide who I give my attention to." A familiar male voice interrupted us from the doorway.

I stilled as Kaz moved into my line of sight.