Revenge

It was a chilly evening and I had to fight the shiver the crept up my spine as I hunched down beside Kaz. His body heat helped fight the cold. Despite his nearness I had to bundle my leather jacket tighter around myself as I flipped up the collar to block the wind from hitting the back of my neck.

I knew Kaz was anxious but he wouldn't voice it. As the leader of his crew he had to show strength despite whatever doubts he may be struggling with internally. I glanced over to him, he was focusing on the building in front of us. The windows facing us had been boarded up and the brick siding nearest to us was charred from the explosions Kaz had set off a few nights ago.

Without looking over at me Kaz handed me his looking glass and pointed over towards the far side of the building. I looked down the glass where he'd directed me and I saw the signal we were waiting for.
I didn't know the man that was signaling to us but there had been many new faces since I had left the Serpents.

Kaz gestured over his shoulder to two of his men and we waited,watching them approach the other man. We still were not sure if another trap was waiting for us. I wouldn't put it past the bastard to try something. There was nothing more dangerous than,a man fearing losing everything. Even with the discourse happening with the Serpents we hadn't been certain everyone was on board with defecting over to the Crow's side.

I was anxious to be sitting out here and even more anxious for not knowing where Carlson was presently.

When Kaz's men waved us over we moved silently forward. The interior of the building was dark and I was cautious passing by the upper level's unboarded windows. Carlson could have had snipers set up inside those darkened rooms just waiting to slaughter us all.

I tugged at Kaz's sleeve and he frowned at me asking, " What is it love?"

" I don't like this, we don't know what is waiting for us inside. What if it's another trap?" I asked him

I couldn't keep my doubts from the man I loved ķnowing his life was on the line tonight.He wasn't hiding behind his men like Carlson would, Kaz was leading this assault tonight and it had me second guessing everything we had planned in his office just hours earlier.

Kaz's eyes softened as he held out a gloved hand to me. I took it and Kaz gave my hand a reassuring squeeze.

" Darling trust me we will get through this, I always get what I want. " Kaz winked at me.

I wanted to wrap myself in the confidence Kaz exuded but my senses were screaming at me that something was still very wrong.

Instinct had me glancing up to the roof to meet Inej's intense gaze, she was silently signaling to me but I couldn't be sure what she was trying to convey to me exactly.

I pulled again on Kaz's jacket and stopped him from moving any closer. I nodded my head up towards where Inej was crouched. He didn't even bother glancing up. It figured that Kaz knew exactly where Inej had been this whole time.

"Kaz she's trying to tell us something but I don't know her silent gestures yet, please tell me what she's saying. "

My words had Kaz finally glancing upwards. I watched him frown and he halted his men with a swift gesture.

Everyone was now on edge and watching the building for any unseen threats.

Jesper came quickly over to Kaz and I with Wylan close at his side.

Jesper whispered," What is it?Why'd we stop Kaz?"

Kaz nodded his head up to Inej and Jesper looked up. Seeing Jesper now frown made my heart race.

" What is it? What's happening Kaz?" I asked him again as I kept glancing around us.

" Inej says they're are more threats inside, men that are armed, I cannot be sure with what but they are waiting to draw us in closer. Carlson is more clever than I anticipated. We're moving to plan B. Come." Kaz gestured at us all to follow him.