Chapter 10 - Selene

"Mother..." I barely make out the word

"We need to talk, baby" she smiles, but my heart rate picks up.

"Well, I would have appreciated if you let me put on some clothes before showing up uninvited" I point out

"Oh, now you're shy? It didn't seem that way a few moments ago"

"You were watching?!"

"I couldn't wait for him to leave. Like I said we need to have a talk. So, put on some clothes and I'll wait for you downstairs".

She kisses my head and walks out of the room. I am frozen in place by her sudden affection. I manage to shake it off and get dressed quickly.

"Be quick because I have to go" I say as I walk down the steps.

"It's about your boyfriend"

"He's not my boyfriend"

"Whatever it is, you need to be careful, Selene. He is not from our side, and he is the worst of them. I don't want you to get hurt"

"Since when do you care about me being hurt?" I chuckle.

"Baby, I've been watching you and you tend to fall for anyone who shows you the slightest attention"

"And who's fault is that?" I wonder, crossing my arms in front of my chest. "Maybe I like being hurt, because at least it makes me feel something"

"Don't say that"

"Then don't pretend like you care! The only reason you're here is because you know very well that if he and I get serious and more gods find out, war will be upon you. And that will be an inconvenience to the nirvana you've been living in lately".

I take a step closer "You only care because it is Loki, an enemy. You don't care about me".

I can almost see her fighting not to insult me. "That's not true" she finally says.

I chuckle and I roll my eyes.

"I always care about you, baby" she adds.

"Like you cared when Helios wanted me?" I remind her

"Will you ever let that go? It happens! How do you think you and him were conceived? Me and your father--" she rolls her eyes so easily at me

"I don't care! I didn't want to be like you and father. Helios hurt me and you took his side..."

"He's a boy and h--"

"Why do you always defend him?"

"He's my son!"

"And I'm your daughter!"

"It's not the same!" she yells.

"Of course... What else was I expecting from you?" I grab my things and I walk to the door.

"I didn't mean--"

"Yes, you did. You've been reminding me all my life that he is good, that he is special. He is everything. He is the sun. He, he, and he again! I'm tired. I'm tired of being constantly compared to him. I'm not the perfect child, I know that. So leave me alone to drown in my own shitty life while enjoying the one single company that brings me pleasure for as long as I can".

I turn my back to her and I start to walk out the door.

"Come home for a visit sometime. Let's put this all behind and start fresh, like a family" she suggests.

I freeze again, holding the door. She can always find the most unexpected way to surprise me and throw me off.

"You can bring him too if you want" she adds.