Chapter 28 - Selene

I reach the palace and I sit on that golden seat that Loki cherishes so much. It's actually uncomfortable. Disappointing...

"You better step down, Selene" Thor warns me as he catches up

"I don't think I will" I state. "You are a good guy, Thor. So I would suggest you step away from all this. You don't want to ruin your reputation, do you?"

"You are attacking my home"

"Loki was going to attack my home if I hadn't done it first"

"No, he wouldn't"

"Of course, he would. Why else were your armies ready to go in a matter of minutes?" I point out. "That's why I'm telling you to leave. I am giving you a pass. Go find your girlfriend and stay with her for a bit" I suggest.

"Call this madness off" he demands

"No. I give you one last chance to leave".

He stands there and doesn't move. "Come on, Thor. I don't care to hurt you" I say desperate

"You care to hurt my brother"

"Well, your brother has it coming. Because actions have consequences".

"You big dumb fool!" Loki curses as he bursts in the room

"That's a little much" I admit

"I am not talking to you. She got you away to stall and you sit around here chatting?" he asks Thor.

Thor looks at me and I smile in agreement. He flies away immediately. I sigh and get in a more comfortable position on the throne.

"And then there were two..." I speak first.

"You're enjoying this"

"Aren't you? I mean that's what you were planning too. I just--"

"Enough" he interrupts me. "Get off my seat" he demands

"Make me".

He stays in his place, his fists almost shake in anger. But I am not going anywhere.

"Come on, take a shot" I tease

"I don't need to" he smiles suddenly. He waves his hand and chains appear from the seat which around my wrists. "Comfortable enough?" he teases as he walks calmly up the stairs to reach me.

I press the veins of my wirsts against the hard chains as much as I can without him noticing.

"Alright... Good, but weak" I say

"It's holding you in place, isn't it?" he mocks clearly

"On the throne, yes" I specify.

"For now--".

I cry out and I move my hands in the chains like I'm in pain. The pressing has caused my wrists to become red enough to make it more believable.

"It burns! Why is it burning?" a fake tear rolls down my cheek

"Burning?" Loki asks and touches them.

I scream more.

"Selene?" he calls. "Selene!" he yells again but I don't stop.

He undoes the chains, and without waisting another second, I kick him in the chest with all my strength.

"I knew it..." he whispers to himself as he gets on his feet again

"Then why did you do it?" I wonder.

"You're playing dirty"

"I always have, but you never complained before".

I stand up and I walk down the stairs to reach him. "But I agree. Let's make it fair" I say and I take my sword out.

"You didn't want to marry me because we would get the throne; it would have been ours. Why did you change your mind now?" he questions

"I just don't want you to have it!" I swing my sword at him and he deflects it with his. "I am worth more than that" I swing again

"I didn't mean to hurt you, I was protecting you. But you showed where your priorities lie" he swings at me this time

"You, men, always use this excuse; protecting. You are protecting me, my father is protecting. What I needed was to protect myself from both of you!" I raise my voice and put my anger on the latest blow of my sword. "And when I am done with you, he is next" I add.

"You are going to kill him? You are on his side" he asks, surprised

"I am on no one's side! Everyone who wronged me is about to pay, no exceptions!".

"Then why are you fighting for them?"

"I'm not fighting for them. They are fighting for me. They owed me at least that" I inform him

"I thought you... It doesn't matter. Even if you didn't really take their side, you dismissed me too easily. I deserved the benefit of the doubt!" he swings forcefully against me

"Maybe. But I am done giving second chances. I'm done giving chances in general. I am tired of trusting and losing!"

"I never betrayed you!"

"Of course you did. And once I left, you went to find another girl to marry and get the throne. I am worth more than a fucking seat!" tears of anger almost blur my vision.

"I was never planning on using you. I meant that I wanted to marry you".

He stops and takes a step back. "I wanted to marry you for you. Would it be so bad if another good thing came along with it?"

"I'm finding it hard to believe" I admit, as more tears blur my vision.

No, don't let him trick you.

On my next try to get him, he knocks the sword out of my hand. "Enough..." he says in a lower voice and throws his sword away as well.

He walks closer to me, but I step back. My back hits a column soon. Loki doesn't stop though.

It's another rouge. Don't let him trick you.

The smell of his scent intensifies as he comes closer. I almost missed how bright his eyes look up close. He makes me so weak. Fuck.

I close my eyes and I turn my head away from him. "Stop" my voice comes out as a whispers

"Selene, look at me" he demands

"No".

I feel the back of his fingers on my cheek and goosebumps spread all over my body.

"Don't--" my protest couldn't be any weaker

"Selene. Look. At. Me" he repeats, turning my face his way.

I open my eyes to meet his.

"I wanted to marry you. I want to marry you. I love you" he says staring in my eyes

"No, Loki, don't say that..." I already feel myself giving in

"I love you"

"Stop saying that"

"I will never stop saying it. I'm in love with you. Without you I can't sleep, I can't breathe, I can't exist. I belong to you and I will always be yours whether you like it or not. Because I am nothing, and you are everything" he confesses.

He leans in and presses a gentle kiss on my neck. "I love you more than anything, Selene" he whispers against my ear.

He pulls away and meets my eyes again. He looks at me in silence. I grab his collar and I connect our mouths. Warmth starts in my chest and spreads to my entire body.