Chapter 38 - Selene

I have just taken a long shower and put my hair into braids to dry. Loki has been outside for some hours now to deal with some matter -he wasn't specific. So I take my time getting ready for our outing.

I walk in his closet and get to the side he has filled with my clothes. I try several of them by holding the hangers over my chest and check them in the mirror. It feels like a first date all over again. I guess we never had one anyway.

Eventually, I pull out a dress which exposes quite some skin. And then it really hits me; I am not scarred anymore. I am not marked by my past. Every time I look at my smooth skin, I tear up. I can show my arms, stomach and legs without being afraid of getting pity looks and stares.

So, stepping out of my comfort zone, I pick that dress. It is a beautiful green fairy long dress featuring a V-neckline, a midriff cutout, mesh detailing, open and light floor-grazing sleeves that fly in the wind, and embroideries of leaves.
(Imagine the folklore green dress, but maybe a couple of tones darker).

I get dressed, I put some light make up on and I let my now wavy hair down. I am surprised Loki has still kept all my things here, including my clothes and make up. He never moved on...

The door opens and he walks in without warning. The aggressive way he shuts the door almost causes me to jump out of my seat. He doesn't acknowledge me at first and stands there to take a breath.

"Everything alright?" I wonder as I approach him

He looks up to me with teary eyes "I am trying... I don't want to keep you hidden in here. I am trying everything I can..." he says

I wrap my arms around him "I know, Loki. I know" I reassure him. He holds me for a moment and I wait for him to let go whenever he is ready.

When he pulls away, he takes a good look at me head to toe. "You are absolutely stunning" he tells me as he puts my hair behind my ear and caresses my cheek

"Thank you" I smile and I kiss him.

"Can you give me a moment and then I will take you out?" he requests

"Of course. But we don't have to go if you don't feel good"

"No. I promised you. We are going" he insists

"Ok. I love you"

"I love you" he pecks my lips and walks to the bathroom.

While waiting for him, I decide to keep myself busy by putting some braids in my hair. The one braid that has a strand of his black hair amongst mine stands out, which I love.

"How is it that you look more and more beautiful each time I see you?" Loki says as he appears in the reflection of the mirror in a new suit

"Same goes for you" I turn and he kisses me.

"Ready to go, love?" he offers me his arm

"Yes" I take his arm and I lean against him as we walk.

He leads us to the gardens and we sit on a bench under the moon's light. He pulls me in his lap and I rest my head on his shoulder.

"You see those little glowing stars that almost form a heart?" he asks me looking up. I follow his gaze and I see the small heart on the midnight sky. This cannot be seen from Midgard or Omnipotence City.

It is truly a beautiful sight. It looks like two spirals that have collided, resulting in this heart shape. There are pink and orange colors in its stars.

"This is the collision of two of the Antennae galaxies -NGC 4038 and NGC 4039- in the constellation Corvus" Loki explains. "The two spiral galaxies started to interact a few hundred million years ago, and they are currently going through a starburst phase, in which the collision of clouds of gas and dust, with entangled magnetic fields, causes rapid star formation. The orange spots to the left and right center are the two cores of the original galaxies and consist mainly of old stars and filaments of dust. The two galaxies are dotted with blue star-forming regions surrounded by glowing hydrogen gas, which appears pink in our eyes".

I listen to him closely and I watch his hand movements which point and move along with the spirals of the stars. I love it when he knows things like these and feels comfortable to talk and talk about them with me. It is adorable because once he gets into geeking, he forgets whatever he was worrying about a second ago. I ask him questions -even obvious ones- just to keep him talking.

We keep talking for hours, jumping from one topic to another without even realizing. We only notice we have been out here for hours when the sky starts to brighten.

"Can we stay this close forever?" I sigh

"We will" he replies.

I get up from his lap and I take one last walk around the gardens. I let the light breeze move my dress and its long sleeves as I touch some of the beautiful flowers.

I turn to find Loki and go back inside. But he stops me. One hand holds my hand and brings the other to my cheek.

"I want you to know that I will always choose you. In a hundred galaxies, in a hundred lives, in a hundred worlds, in any version of reality, I would find you and I would choose you" he says

"And I would marry you in every single one of those galaxies, lives, worlds, and realities" I reply

He had asked me and told me to marry him plenty of times before I died. And I always felt guilty for never giving him the obvious answer.

A smile appears across his face. "You would?" he asks

"I mean I would whenever you would decide to ask me officially".

He gets on one knee immediately and holds my hand. His free hand shines of green magic and a ring box appears. Inside of it is a big stunning 3-piece ring. In the middle part stands a pear-shaped cornflower sapphire and by each side of it sit 3 smaller leaf-shapped diamonds. The top part is contacted by different sized round sapphires in the same royal blue color as the big one, and it sits like a crown over the center ring. Lastly, the bottom piece has more of the leaf-shapped diamonds.

"My beautiful Selene, will you do me the honor of becoming my wedded wife?" he asks

"Yes" I answer flattered and lean down to kiss him.

He kisses me as he stands up and I can feel the big smile on his lips.

"I love you" he says between kisses

"I love you too".

He turns his attention to the ring. "I know this is stupid but you lived in Midgard for so long, I thought I would take some ideas from them. I made this a while ago, but you can absolutely change it if you don't like it. I always thought blue suits you--"

I kiss him to shut him up. "I love it" I say and I let him put it on me. "And I love you" I hug him again.