Chapter 36 - Loki

After my mother checked on Selene, she suggested we both take some rest because we were drained from the event.

But I haven't taken my eyes off her, let alone close them, since I put her in my bed again. I still can't believe she is besides me. Even asleep, she hasn't let go of my hand or loosened her grip. My one hand is holding hers and with the other I caress her face and hair.

"My sweet Selene..." I whisper as I continue to caress her cheek.

Her chest raises as she takes one deep breath in her sleep. She is probably waking up, so I squeeze her hand a bit tighter. She returns the gesture and turns to her side towards me.

I lean close and I kiss her head. Then I kiss her forehead, the side of her face, her cheek, her nose, her cheek again, her jawline, her chin, the corner of her lip, and eventually her lips.

She opens her eyes smiling as I lean back. "This isn't a dream, right?"

"I hope not" I answer and I kiss her lips again. "I love you"

"I love you too".

Her eyes fill with tears as she looks at me. I pull her in my arms and hold her.

"I am sorry" she says

"For what?"

"I jumped in front of that blade without considering the consequences. I didn't think you would have it that bad..."

"You have nothing to apologize for. I know I told you it was stupid, but I would have done the same thing. It was me who wasn't strong enough to deal with what happened. I wasn't ok. I was pretty far from ok" I mention. "At first they told me that it will pass. But after the first night I spent here without you, I thought what was the point? What was the point of me getting better if I have no one to go back to? No one was waiting for me, no one was going to miss me. So I went and sat in the library with nothing but a bottle and a blade. The only reason I didn't do it was because I was sure you would hate me if you ever knew" I confess

"You are damn right I would" she says and holds my hand even tighter. "We have to stop this self-destruction thing for each other before it is too late".

She might be right, but I can't promise her that I will be able to. Her well-being is above everything, even myself.

"Remember when we were both thriving alone?" she wonders to herself

"That was before we met. You... I don't know how but you have managed to invade my life so much that you became a necessity. Five years passed without you and I have been nothing but miserable and sad. I wasn't living, I was simply surviving on the smallest spark of hope. And I am telling you this knowing exactly how pathetic it sounds" I admit.

I pause for a moment and then drop my defensive expression. "What are you smiling at?" I asks her

"I never thought someone would ever say to my face that they care so much" she confesses.

"Really? The resurrection didn't ring any bells?" I joke

"I wasn't quite sure" she plays along.

She laughs and rests her head on my chest. "And to think we used to hate each other..." she remembers

"You mean when you were pretending to hate me to hide the fact that you were charmed, jealous and maddly in love with me?" I suggest

"Umm, I don't think that is how it went..."

"When you were begging me desperately to have sex with you?"

"Loki..." she hits me arm playfully

"Ok, fine. When you caught my manipulation trick, antagonized me and rejected me, so I became obsessed with you forever"

"That's sounds about right" she smiles.

There is a knock on the door that interrupts us.

"Are we expecting anyone?" Selene asks

"No. Hide in the bathroom" I order as I get up.

She follows my words as I walk to the door. I am relieved to find a maid on the other side carrying a big tray with food and drinks. I take the tray, thank her and close the door.

"It's clear. Come out" I call as I put the tray on the bed. Selene makes her way back to me. "Mother sent breakfast"

"Great. I am starving" she says, getting with me in bed

"Why didn't you say anything earlier?"

"I didn't want you to leave" she answers.

I can't talk back. So I breathe out and smile. I let her eat whatever she wants and as much as she can from everything on the tray. I gladly give her the last pieces from each plate there is in front of us. She needs it more than I do.

"What is that?" she asks me and reaches to get my neck

She pulls out the small braid I have in which one strand is of her hair. She examines it closely.

"I... We have this thing here where you do this to feel closer to the dead. I hope that's ok. I tried to not make it obvious" I explain, stressing for her reaction

"That is very sweet" she answers and kisses me. "Can I have one? You don't have to be dead, I just want to feel close to you at any given time" she suggests

"Of course, love" I kiss her.

"Now... Can I ask you one more thing? It will probably kill the good mood but I can't stop thinking about it" Selene speaks looking skeptical

"Anything" I reply immediately

"My father... Did you..."

"Kill him? No. I wanted to. And I could have killed him. But I focused that rage into research to get you back"

"Ok" she remains skeptical

"Did you want me to kill him?" I question

"No, I... I don't know what answer I expected to be honest. I just wanted to know".

"And your sister gave birth about two months after your death. Unfortunately -or fortunately-, the baby did not survive for more than a few minutes".

I still get pissed thinking how big of a deal they made that funeral, while Selene's was the bare minimum. They didn't even care to prepare her body.

"Do you know what happened?" Selene asks

"Not really. But I have heard that she most likely will not be able to carry a child again, so I am guessing there were complications".

She nods. "Is it horrible that I don't feel bad for them?"

"Not at all".

I wrap my arm around her protectively and I bring her to sit closer to me. She rests her head on my shoulder and I kiss her.

"Whatever other question or request you have, feel free to express it. I am right here" I reassure her

"Thank you. Thank you for everything you have done for me" she wraps her arms around me tightly

I wrap both my arms around her and I kiss her head. "Thank you for coming back to me".