Chapter 39 - Loki

Despite last nights restrictions, it was the best night I have ever had in a long time. All day leading up to it was a chaos, but once again Selene managed to make me forget about every worry. We talked about stars and galaxies for hours. When I tried to stop myself because I believed I tired her, she proceeded to ask me more questions, encouraging me to keep going. I know that she already knew the answers to some of them, but I appreciated her gesture to encourage me.

I was planning on proposing to her again after we settled. However, when she brought up the subject, I could not contain myself any longer.

I don't care about ceremonies, traditions, or other people. We could do it inside the room in our pyjamas for all I care. I cannot wait to call her my wife. I want to go through everything and grow old with her by my side. I need her to survive.

Unfortunately, my good mood got destroyed by the same news that brought me down yesterday; Zeus knows. Hades contacted him and informed him that Selene is not in the Underworld anymore. It is only a matter of time until her father finds out as well.

At this point me and my mother confessed what we did to Odin and Thor. Of course they weren't happy at first. But we need their help because I have run out of ways to keep Selene safe from her family's madness. I can't risk losing her again, and I also can't keep her locked in a room forever.

"Loki!" my mother storms in the meeting

"What now?" I ask tired of constantly getting bad news

"It's Selene. She needs you" she informs me.

I jump from my seat immediately and run to the room as fast as I can. If she was hurt my mother would have taken care of it, so it is probably not that. Is she having a breakdown? Why would she? 'She needs you' my mother's words ring in my head.

I push the doors open and shut. "Selene?" I call

"Closet" I hear her weak voice and I walk in the room closet room to find her.

She is sitting on the floor and she is looking down at something. I kneel next to her to see what she is holding. It is her nightgown but there is red spotting.

"Selene, are you hurt?" I ask worried

"No, it's... It's the opposite" she almost laughs through her tears. "I bled" she finally looks at me.

"You bled...?"

"Loki, I had literally ripped my uterus out of me when they wanted my brother to impregnate me" she reminds me, like I could ever forgot what they put her through. "Aphrodite didn't just fix my outside scars. She must have repaired the inside ones as well" she adds

"You bled..." I say in a more relaxed tone now

"I can have my own babies. We can have our own babies" her eyes shine with more tears.

Our own babies.

Without saying anything, I hug her tightly. I never thought of having a child myself. And since she couldn't have, it was never brought up. It didn't need to be a subject of conversation. I always thought I would be a horrible father and husband. I liked to get around too much. Until Selene came in my life.

Suddenly, I am starting to question if I can be the husband she deserves. I want to be the best version of me with her, and I will do my best to be the father her babies need. I just hope it is enough.

As the word 'father' keeps echoing in my head, her father comes to my mind. If they find out she can carry...

I think I froze right that second because Selene had to pull away. "It's ok if you are not happy about it. But it is good that we have an option for once, right?" she tries to not look disappointed by my reaction

"Yes, of course. I am extremely happy about it, and we will discuss my insecurities later"

"Then what is it?" she asks worried.

I need to tell her. She has to know in order to be prepared. I have kept it in for long enough.

"Hades told Zeus that you are not with him anymore. I am afraid that soon enough Hyperion will be told too and when he does your whole family will also know. Your mother, your brother, your sister. And now, with this situation--"

"Get to the point!" Selene demands

"I am worried that now that your sister can't carry children, if they found out you can--"

"No, no, no. No!" she stands up and starts passing in the room while taking breaths. Her hands are trembling so much that she has to hold them but not even holding them can stop it at this point.

I have seen this film before. It is just like the night she told me everything they did to her; the first time I saw her cry; the night I felt something for her.

So I stand up too and get in her way. I grab her and I pull her in my chest. I wrap my arms around her protectively. I hold her head and rub her back.

"I can't-- I can't go back. I can't do it again. I can't. I can't..." she sobs.

My heart hurts at her sobs. Her legs give out and I go down with her. I stay on my knees and I hold her.

"You will never go back there. They will never touch you again" I promise and I kiss her head. I hold her until she feels better.

The door swings open and Thor walks in unannounced. "Stay out of it!" I order him

"It's a little late for that. Hyperion knows and he has demanded Selene to be sent home" he informs me

"She is not going back there"

"I know. So how about we stop arguing and get her in a less obvious hiding spot?" he suggests.

I look at Selene and she nods. I get ready to pick her up but she rejects it. I take her hand instead and we run to the vaults.

Halfway there Selene groans in pain and holds her head. "Tell me" I say

"My father is summoning me" she replies clearly in pain caused by her resistance.

I use magic to shut Hyperion's attempts and we continue. He tries again, and I shut it every time. Selene seems to grow angrier by each of his attempts.

When we get to the panic room she tells me to leave. I don't want to but Odin is looking for me and my brother. This is a crisis that could lead to another attack.

•••

After the emergency meeting, I return to the panic room to find Selene. However, I quickly realize that she is not there anymore. The guards are knocked out and I can tell it is by her magic.

She left voluntarily and she is probably about to walk in the biggest trap. "Come on, love, you are not that stupid..." I whisper to myself as I rub my temple.