1~Welcome

„Welcome to Barkley High Miss Hemmings" I smiled back at Mr. Jefferson before greeting him back. „It's a pleasure to be here Mr. Jefferson. Thanks again for offering me this job. I know it's my first but I'll try to do my best." Still shaking because it was my first day, I stood up from the chair opposite Mr. Jefferson's and shook his hand. „If you have any questions, you're always welcome in my office." I thanked him one last time before walking out of his office. I closed the door and walked past the secretary to get into the teacher's room. There were a few men and women chatting, some sitting in front of a computer and some eating or drinking coffee.

„Ah, you must be Ms. Hemmings. I'm Marie Candel, biology and sports teacher. I hope you enjoy your first day here at Barkley's!" A brown haired woman who looks around the same age as me greeted me with a warm smile. „Hey, yes I'm Ms. Hemmings. Mae Hemmings. New English teacher and I think your new assistant in your sport classes." I smiled back at Marie, remembering that Mr. Jefferson told me that the teacher I was going to help during some of her sppor classes was a woman called Candel. „Oh yes, right, I totally forgot you are going to help me out. That's great!. Well, I need to get going, but maybe we can grab a coffee after school to get to know each other and plan our first classes if you want to." „That sounds great, thanks. Here, I'll give you my number so we can sort things out." I got my phone out of my bag and gave her my number. „Okay, see you this afternoon then! Bye!" And with that she rushed out of the door. I hope  getting to know the other teachers will be as easy as getting to know Marie. She seems really kind and I'm glad I got to know at least one person at my new job today. I'm not really good at making friends. I don't know why but in school or later at university, I only had a couple of friends. It was okay, because they are still my best friends, but maybe being not good at making friends is a disadvantage and not really going to help me in my new job. Well, we'll see.

I sat down at an empty seat and got out my laptop from my bag. Mr. Jefferson sent me a couple of mails including my schedule and a list with the names of my new students. I only have three English classes that I'll teach this year and one sport class together with Ms. Candel. The reason why I'm helping her out is because I'm thinking about going back to university after this year to  study sports so I can teach that, too. I went to NYU for four years and studied English because I always wanted to become an English teacher. Sport was just a hobby but now I'd like to teach that aswell.

The bell rang and the first period began. I only have a senior class to teach today in third and fourth period. My other two classes are in year 8 and 9. The sport class will also be a senior class.

I took the year 12 English book out of the book shelf in the corner of the room and sat back to plan my first lesson.

One hour later, it was time for me to face my new students. I looked down at the paper in my hand that had the number of the room and a school map on it. Room 309. I made my way up the stairs and walked through the long hallway that was packed with students. Some were chatting with eachother and some were eyeing me weirdly. I can't blame them, though. When I was in school having a new teacher was always a big deal. After a few minutes I finally stood in front of room 309. I could hear the students inside talking and to be honest, I felt sick. I was so nervous that my hands were shaking and giving me a hard time turning the knob on the door. Slowly, I turned it and the room went quiet.

As soon as I entered the classroom, all eyes were on me. A few people smiled at me, a few looked at me like I was the devil. I also noticed a couple boys in the back row looking me up and down with smirks on their faces and whispering with eachotther. I felt uncomfortable but I tried to look confident walking to the teacher's desk.

I put my bag down on the floor and got out the folder with the names to check if everyone's there.

"Good morning class. I'm Ms. Hemmings, your new English teacher for this year. I'm new at this school, well this is actually my first teaching job, so it would be really nice if you wouldn't give me a hard time, well, the first couple days  at least." I laughed nervously and started going through the names.

"Kayla Adams?"

"Here!"

"Matt Benson?"

"Yoh"

"Marc Brown"

"Here!"

"Michelle Ferguson?"

"Here."

And the list goes on...

There you go! Please comment & vote:) Much love from Germany!