25 ~ Caught?

I made my way to my classroom, where a couple of seiors were already chatting amongst eachother.

"Hey guys!" I said while walking towards my desk at the front. I got a few "Hi's" and "Hey's" back, which made me happy, because I feel like I have a genuine and good relationship with most of my students. It's very important to me that my students feel comfortable with me and that they don't come into my classroom with a frown on their faces. Obviously, that is not in my power, but if my students go through something, they often come to me and confide in me.

One by one, the rest of the class made their way inside, including Marc and his friend group that he usually hangs out with.

When he was passing my desk, he told his friends to go a head and then turns towards me. "Goodmorning." He whispers with a smile on his face, automatically making me smile, too. One of his hands was in the pocket of his jeans and it looked like he was struggling to get something out.

"Need help?" I asked, nowing exactly that that wasn't something a teacher should say to her student in this situation, but I couldn't help myself. Marc lets out a light snort and finally gets whatever he was holding in his hand out of his pocket. When he holds it out for me to take, I see that it was something wrapped in a tissue. I take it from him and quickly unwrap it, eager to find out what it was. When I finally got all the tissue out of the way, I saw that Marc gave me two cookies. Last night at Marc's house, I saw some freshly baked cookies while I was walking through the kitche and they ssmelled amazing, but I never asked Marc or his parents if I could have one.

"I saw the way you were looking at them yesterday." Marc says. "They're my mum's special recipe and they taste amazing."

"Thanks, but you really didn't have to-" I started, but Marc quickly interrupts me.

"It's okay. My mom bakes them like twice a week because we all love them so much. They won't mind two missing... Although my dad can be very strict with the distribution of them. But those two are from my share anyways."

I smile at him and thank him again. "Stop saying thank you, it's honestly nothing. Wait for the bigger stuff to say thank you." And with a wink, he took off towards his seat. This boy is honestly unbelievable. But I like it.

While Marc was talking, the bell had rung and I had to take a minute to reorganize my thoughts after the interaction I just had.

"Okay guys, let's start by discussing your homework for today." I said and got up fro

After a long lesson, it was finally time to give the class their assignment for the next day. "By tomorrow's class, I want you all to look at the book's characters a little more closely and write a short paragraph on each of them. You should include their general information, but also their personality traits, behaviours and so on. You can start now since we only have five minutes left." When I was done with my little speech, I took a seat at my desk and checked my phone. I had a new message from Ella.

You're wearing his sweater to school???? Girl, if someone finds out you're screwed!

I quickly reply.

Relax, no one has said anything except Marie and that's only because she knows it's you know who's...

I put my phone away and looked up . Some of my students were working, others were quietly chatting, which I didn't mind since class was about to be over.

I lowered my gaze again and began writing in my planner, when I heard a low, quiet voice saiying "Yo, dude, that sweater she's wearing looks exactly like the one you wore yesterday!"

My eyes went wide and I tried to unobtrusively look for who said it. I let my eyes wander over Marc's friends who were all sitting around him at the back of the classroom. While doing so, I caught Marc's gaze. He looked nervous and at a loss for words, at least he hadn't said anything since the person asked their question. I suddenly felt even more eyes on me and realized that because Marc was looking at me, his friends were now looking at me, too. I could feel my cheeks heating up and quickly started to pack my things, trying not to look too suspicious. The bell rang and while the students were packing up as well I could hear someone ask "What was that about?" and the same male voice from before asked "Dude, was that about what I just said?"

"Just shup up, Johnny!" I heard Marc's angry voice and before I knew it, he stormed out of the classroom without so much as looking at me or his friends, who were looking at the door Marc had stormed out of with questioning looks on their faces.

Grabbing my packed bag, I copied Marc and walked out of the door. Two minutes later, I arrived at the teachers' lounge. I saw Marie sitting in the back of the room and luckily, no one else was sitting at her table.

"Hey!" She greets me when she sees me making my way over to her.

"Hi." I say, before trying to catch my breath. That walk from my classroom to th teachers' lounge took only half as long as it usually does, because of how fast I was walking in hopes to find Marie as quick as possible.

"Are you okay, Mae?" Marie gives me a concerned look.

"No." I pant and let myself fall onto a chair next to my friend. "Something bad happened." I felt a sharp stitch in my side and grimace.

"What happened?" Marie asks,

"I-He..." I tried to explain to her what I heard, but my thoughts were all over the place, trying to make sense of what happened.

"Calm down, Mae, everything will be okay." I know Marie only wants to help, but her words were just that: words, with absolutely no meaning behind them.

"They recognized it." I finally got out, but Marie kept looking at me with a puzzled look on her face.

"Who recognized what?" She rightfully asks.

"In class, his friends recognized that the sweater I'm wearing is his." I whispered, afraid any of the other teachers in the room could hear me.

"Uh-oh." Says Marie.

"That's right, uh-oh." I say, before closing my eyes and taking a deep breath.