23 ~ Hallway kisses

The fire was crackling and I could see little sparks flying into the night sky. I was sitting on a blanket and trying to warm up a bit after the water fight Marc and I had with Lilly and Emma. My black t-shirt was soaking wet and it was starting to get a little cold. The girls were sitting to our right and concentrating on preparing the smores they want to make over the small fire.

After a couple minutes, Marc returns from inside the house.

"Here, I brought you something." I looked up at him and saw that he was holding one of the black hoodies he often wears to school. He sat back down, still holding the hoodie out for me to take. Hesitantly, I grabbed it, giving him a shy smile. "Thank you." I whispered. Marc smiled back at me and grabbed the water bottle next to him.

"I'm gonna go inside to put this on." I said while getting up.

"You don't have to." My eyes widen and I looked down at Marc. He was still drinking out of his bottle and was looking into the fire, but I could see that there was a smile on his face. I rolled my eyes at him and started walking inside. Halfway there, I turned around and called out the girls to come inside and change, too. They quickly got up and came running towards me.

I made my way into the upstairs bathroom, because the girls occupied the downstairs one. I changed out of my wet t-shirt and grabbed a fresh towel out of the cupboard to dry off. I couldn't help myself and took a look around the room, realizing that there were a few things that definitely belonged to Marc. I saw his perfume that he always wore, as well as his aftershave. Together, both of them made up his signature scent, which I had learnt to love over the last couple weeks. When I was done, I grabbed Marc's hoodie and put it over my head. A smile appeared on my face when I realized that it had the exact same scent on it. He had probably worn it before, but that did not bother me at all, because the hoodie felt cozy and warm against my skin.

I took a look at the mirror and realized that there were a few dark stains on my eyes from my mascara. I definitely did not plan to be involved in a water fight today when I put on my make-up this morning.

I took a quick look around the bathroom and saw make-up wipes, which had to belong to Giselle. I don't think she would mind me taking one, so I walked over to where the package was sitting and pulled one out. After I removed all my make-up I looked up in the mirror. Mh... not bad, could be worse.

I'm well aware of the fact that Marc had never seen me without make-up. Even though I never wear much, I do look different. But different can be good, right?

Deciding that it wasn't such a big deal and that people who like me for who I am and do not care about if I'm wearing make-up or not, I quickly took the towel again to get as much water out of my hair as possible.

I took one last glance in the mirror and sighed. Don't worry Mae, whatever happens is supposed to happen. Marc basically told you he liked you, which is great, because you like him too.

Over the last couple weeks I spent so much time thinking about this "thing" I had going on with Marc and the possible consequences, but I always made sure to deny my feelings and tell myself it was just a stupid crush. However, as I'm spending more and more time with Marc, I realized that the connection we have goes much deeper than just a crush and I do not want to keep pretending it wouldn't exist. So, I will just take everything step by step and see where this will go.

I made my way back outside. When I was walking through the living room, I heard Giselle call my name from the kitchen. I spun around and started walking towards the kitchen. Once I was there, I saw that she was preparing some snacks that we could eat outside by the fire. Giselle was cutting some carrots and I saw that there was a cucumber laying next to the carrots, so I took a knife and started slicing it.