6 - Girls Talk Boys

The next mornig I woke up to the sound of my alarm clock. I checked my phone and saw that I had a new message from Marie.

"Hey, do you want to hang out after school today?:)"

I was pretty happy that I got along with her so well, even though I only knew her for two days. Nevertheless, I already promised Ella to meet her today.

"Hey. I'm meeting up with my bestie Ellla. You wanna join us for some coffee?"

"Sure count me in! See u at school!"

With a smile on my face I made my way into the bathroom to take a shower.

An hour later, I pulled up into the parking lot in front of Barkley High. I was early, there were only two more cars. I really like being on my own sometimes and the sun shining down on my face made me even happier. As I made my way through the quiet hallways, I thought about how lucky I was that I got this job. Mr. Jefferson must have a lot of trust in me, offering me the job right after I graduated from university. I reached my classroom and opened the door. I was surprised to see I wasn't the first one here. Marc was sitting in his usual seat in the back, looking at his phone. He didn't look up when I waked in.

"Ehm, good morning Marc. What are you doing here so early?" He looked at me and smiled. "Just wanted to make sure you take a look at my homework before school starts." He nodded to my desk and I made my way over. But there wasn't only his homework, no, there was also a steaming hot coffee standing next to it. Sighing, I took a seat and started reading his homework.

To say I was surprised was an understatement. I was shocked. His text was one and a half pages long. And it was actually good. He wrote about why he started to play soccer (his whole family was crazy about this sport and he was born into it) and also about his family. His writing style was also pretty good.

"I have to admit. I'm impressed. "

"And why is that?" Marc put away his phone and looked me in the eyes.

"I didn't expect your essay to be this..."

"Good? Well, me being the captain of the soccer team and everything doesn't mean I'm not good at school. So you said you were going to grade my homework. What do I get?" He stood up and walked towards my desk.

"Well, I guess it's a B+" I took my red pen and wrote his grade at the top of the page.

"That's alright. Hey, would you like to watch our soccer match on Saturday? I mean, you told us you played when you were at school, so maybe you want to watch the match."  While he was saying this, he scratched the back of his neck. He was nervous. I guess he knew that it was so not appropriate of him to ask me that question, even though it sounded so innocent.

I wanted to ask him if he wants me to watch the match or him, but right after Marc asked his question, some students walked in. Marc looked at me, with what seemed like a little bit of hope in his eyes, but I didn't give him an answer. Instead, I gave him his paper and nodded to his seat, telling him to go sit down.

During the whole day, I couldn't stop thinking about Marc's offer. I came to the conclusion that I was overthinking everything and that he just asked me to come because I told the class I was interested in soccer.

After the final bell rang, I met Marie, who I hadn't seen the whole morning, in the parking lot.

"Hey Mae!"

"Hey Marie, ready to go?" She nodded and asked me where I wanted to meet up with Ella.

"We thought about going to the mall. Take a look around the shops and drinking some coffee."