20 ~ Confusion

Hi there!

I know it's been a while (which is an Understatement because it has been over a year since I last uploaded). I finished my Bachelor Thesis and am now waiting for my master's Degree to start, but due to the current Situation I am stuck at home and the beginning of my classes was postponed to the 20th of April... But...

one of my goals during the quaranteen is to write as many chapters as possible and post more regularly.. sooooo... here you go! 

I hope you enjoy this chapter, leave a like and a comment !

Much love from Germany, 

Ann

-------------------------------------------------------

Even though I had so many doubts and questions running through my head, I did not put more space between us. Actually, I did the opposite. Marc and I's lips got closer and closer. If I wanted to stop this, I had to do it now or it would be too late.

In a matter of milliseconds, my student's lips were on my own.

I was in shock.

I have to admit that I imagined this exact thing happening a couple times over the last few weeks, but no fantasy was like the actual real thing. I could feel that Marc was also a bit shocked, but after a few seconds, both our lips started moving. His hands wandered to my waist and lightly held me in place whilst mine slowly went up to his neck. I don't know how long the kiss lasted, but after a while we broke apart. I opened my eyes and found Marc already looking at me. We stared at each other with wide eyes.

I didn't know what to say and I could tell that neither did Marc. I had just kissed my student. I, Mae Hemmings, 24 years old, high school teacher, have just kissed my 19 year old English student. In my old bedroom at my parents house. Even though Marie and Ella had long suspected that there was chemistry between us, and I had too, I did not think that something like this would actually happen.

"I- uhh, so, uhm, let's grab the boxes and leave." I turned around so that I did not have to look him in the eyes any more. I could not take it. In a matter of two seconds, my personality switched from the outgoing, happy woman I usually am to a shy and insecure girl. I randomly grabbed things in my room, completely overwhelmed by the situation. "Let's get this over with..." I muttered. After grabbing the first box, I turned back around and saw that Marc was still standing in the same spot he was in during the kiss. He seemed to be deep in thoughts, but snapped out of it when I looked straight into his eyes.

"Yeah, ok, I'm just gonna, uhm, grab-" he looked around the room "this box right here." He made his way to a box that had winter clothes written on it. We made our way down the stairs and to my car without running into my parents again. No words were spoken. I guess he was as confused as I was. I was convinced that he wanted this to happen. He wanted to kiss me. It was obvious. And as much as I knew it was wrong, I wanted it to happen, too. The only problem was that now, we did not know how to go on. I never thought about what would happen if we did give in to the tension that kept rising over the last couple weeks. Over the next half hour, we managed to get all the boxes into the trunk and back seat of my car. After the final boxes, I made my way back inside to say goodbye to my parents. Marc followed me and did the same.

"It was really nice meeting you, Marc." My mom said while making his way over to him to give him a hug. She has always been the hugging-type. "We are having a barbeque with all the neighbours next weekend, maybe Mae can bring you along?" She looked at me with a questioning look.

What was I supposed to say? That Marc is actually my student and that I had just kissed him for the first time in my childhood bedroom and that, therefore, our situation right now was extremely confusing and awkward and that a barbeque would definitely not help?

"He's probably busy with soccer on the weekend, mom." I said. However, at the same time, I could hear Marc saying "Sure, I would love to." I looked at him with a shocked expression.

"Don't you have a game?" I asked.

"Well, yeah, on Saturday at 7pm..."

"Oh, that's ok, the barbeque is on Sunday!" My mom chirped, a happy smile on her face. My dad, who was sitting on the couch, also looked content, which surprised me. I don't know why, but he must like Marc.

"Great, I'll be there." Marc said before saying goodbye to my parents. I did the same, and before we left the house, Marc walked to the bottom of the stairs. "Bye Lilly, see you soon!" His shout was followed by my sister's door opening and her quickly making her way down the stairs.

"Lilly, be careful." I said. When she was at the end of the stairs, she jumped up and into Marc's arms, who gracefully caught her.

"Can you come back soon and play with me? And can you bring Emma, please?"

"Sure. I want a hide and seek rematch." Marc laughed before putting Lilly down.

"We really gotta go now, Lills. I'll come back tomorrow after work, okay?" I said and gave her a light hug. "I love you, Mae." Lilly whispered in my ear. "And take care of Marc. I think I might love him, too." After saying that, my sister ran back upstairs and into her room.

I didn't want to admit it, but it seemed as if Marc really had a big effect on the female species.

We made our way to my car in silence. I felt like no words could describe how I felt right now, after the kiss. Seeing as Marc, who usually always has a smart comment up his sleeve, also kept quiet during the drive to my flat, his thoughts were as flustered as mine.

We arrived and carried the boxes up in silence. After the last two were put in my hallway, I closed the door behind us and stood in front of it. I looked everywhere, except at Marc's face.

After a couple of seconds, Marc quietly spoke up. "Look, I don't really know what to say. This-"

"You don't have to say anything. I don't know what to say and you probably don't know what to say and-" I stumbled over my own words because I was talking so fast.

"Yes I do have to say something, but... " he ran his fingers through his hair, clearly not finding the right words. "I did not plan to do this, but I mean, you know I wanted to. I've been wanting to for so long. I just... I don't know what to say now. I... I did not think this was actually gonna happen so I did not think about what to say afterwards..." He let out a small laugh.

I looked at him. He looked nervous. I don't think I have ever seen him nervous before.

"I think it would be better if you would leave now." I said, my voice too weak to sound confident. My eyes found his and I could see the disappointment in them.

I had to admit that I loved seeing him standing here, in my hallway. In his signature black, fitting jeans and his leather jacket. He looked so good. Hell, he looked good every day.

But I had to put all of that aside and see the bigger picture. We did kiss, yes, but it was obvious that we both had to come to terms with what happened and how we want to proceed.

"Okay." Marc whispered while rubbing his neck. "I'll see you tomorrow?"

"Yeah, yeah, sure." I said and made room for him to leave.

Before he stepped onto the stairs, he turned back around. "Goodnight Mae."

"Goodnight Marc."