Chapter 46-Like Brothers

Dream woke up.

Alone.

The others had offered to stay with him, just to not leave him alone, but Dream had refused. He would've just felt like a third wheel anyway.

There was obviously some sort of chemistry between Reaper and Geno, and he's pretty sure Nightmare hated his non-existent guts, so he didn't want to add any more commotion or negativity either with getting into a fight with Nightmare. As well as the fact.... though Nightmare or Cross would never admit it... he's sensed that the two are quite close with each other. And they can be quite protective over people they love and care about. Dream wouldn't want to interfere with that.

So here he laid. Alone. In the quiet. The deafening silence.

He laid there for a moment. Then another moment. And another moment more. And another moment longer.

So many things were wrapping around his head. The events of yesterday lingered. Questioning how Bill was able to control his body, the thought that someone could even do that was terrifying. Being the only one who knew who the murderer was. Knowing who died tonight and who wouldn't be there with them in the trial today. The entire game as a whole.

But most of all... the loneliness.

Not having anyone else there with him. Not Blue. He was killed by his partner while trying to help him. Not Ink. He died after fighting for so much and for so long. Not his brother. Who hates his entire being and soul. And not Killer. Who he killed.

Hugging himself tighter, he tried to get his mind out of that bad headspace and find any motivation to move and meet back with the others.

It took... a long time for him to finally sit up. Gripping the grass beneath his hands, he tried to find any will to stand up.

Nothing.

He tried. Man did he try. Again and again to find some reason to get up.

Any reason to do anything.

He couldn't find anything.

He fell back down.

After some time, he heard footsteps coming towards him. Looking over to where the sound had come from, he didn't know what to do as he saw Nightmare come towards him. He just watched as the taller just kept walking towards him.

Finally, Nightmare stood before him, looking down disappointedly at him.

"You look pathetic Dream. Get up."

Dream, with a heavy sigh, tried to get up. He really did. He thought that maybe with his brother here, looking down at him, maybe that would give him strength to actually get up.

He was proven wrong as when he went to stand up, he wobbled on his knees, kneeling in front of the other, before his body seemed to fail him, not allowing him to get up and instead fall back.

He closed his eyes, tensing up, bracing for a hard impact as he would crash on the ground and inevitably embarrass his brother. But instead, he was caught by something.

Opening his eyes, it made eye contact with his brother who had used his tentacles to catch him before he fell.

"It seems you have been weakened by the copious amount of negativity circling around here and inside you." Nightmare spoke, his eyes never leaving Dreams.

"In any other circumstance, I would take this as an opportunity to kill you." Nightmare admitted. "But alas, this is not a normal circumstance. Thus, I will spare you for now."

Dream must have looked visibly relieved, maybe even shocked his brother even knew how to spare. It gave him an ounce of hope, a little pinch of positivity he needed to strengthen himself for the day. To even stand up.