Chapter 10

"We don't buy, we request it uh," I finished recording my rap for the title track of our upcoming album "Born Pink" and heard Teddy express His approval. "that's great," I told him, adding, "I'll finish up the rest tomorrow; I have some urgent tasks to attend to." His response was a disapproving look and the stipulation that I needed to come in early the next day. "No problem," I replied quickly, bidding him farewell before making my way out of the studio.

Without delay, I hurry towards the exit as Taehyung's notification jingles, prompting me to swiftly open the message.

With a grin on my face, I glance at his message before promptly shutting it down. Instructing my driver to head over to Royal Café by sharing the address my father sent, I settle inside my van. my nerves take over once he begins driving, so I retrieve my diary and pen from my purse, jotting down my thoughts to alleviate anxiety.

"Dear Lara, 3:53 PM

The last time when I wrote to you was when I faced criticism for my lazy dancing despite suffering from a broken ankle. I recall crying while writing my last entry. However, I haven't written to you since, and people have now found additional reasons to hate me. Consequently, I became quiet and fell into a state of depression. When I attempted to write, I couldn't find the right words and instead felt unoccupied. Despite this, I carried you with me everywhere, knowing that you could provide comfort even if I couldn't express myself. Now, after four years, I feel the urge to express myself to you and unload my thoughts, as you are the only one who can comfort me at this time. Why is it that just when I start to think my life is improving, it suddenly takes a turn for the worse? I can't help but wonder why the man who walked out on his newborn daughter and wanted to get rid of her wants to reconnect with her now. I haven't discussed him with my mom because I don't want to worry her until I've had a chance to determine his motives. I must leave now as I have arrived at the café where my father wants to see me. I shall write to you at a later time. Lara, I love you!! 

-Jennie"

With my journal and pen tucked away in my purse, I don my mask and step out of the van, leaving the driver with the knowledge that I shall return in roughly twenty minutes. Given that our conversation will likely revolve around his purpose for being here, I deem this timeframe sufficient.

As instructed in his message, I made my way to table number 10 upon entering the café. There, I laid my eyes on him - an elderly man dressed in a luxurious black suit and sporting glasses. Despite the wrinkles on his face indicative of his age, he looked remarkably unchanged from the first time I saw him at the tender age of four. Our paths never crossed since, until now.

As I took my seat across from him, we both fell into an uncomfortable silence that lingered for about a minute. Eventually, he mustered up the courage to ask me, "How have you been?" I found it ironic that he was asking this now, considering he had never bothered to enquire about my well-being when we first met. In fact, the hatred in his eyes during that initial encounter filled me with lifelong insecurity. Despite my anger, I managed to keep my composure and asked him, "What brings you here?" He laughed, and then dropped a bombshell: "Did you know you have a sister?" I was stunned and overwhelmed by a wave of unexpected emotions.

"Did you say 'sister'?" I asked skeptically, raising my eyebrows. I couldn't help but wonder if this was some kind of joke, considering that to my knowledge, my dad had never remarried, according to what my mother had told me. So, how could I possibly have a sister?

"Was it not mentioned by your mother about your stepmother and sister?" As he revealed the existence of a whole new family that I was unaware of, my astonishment grew. My lack of response confirmed that I had no prior knowledge of this other family.

His eyes rolled as he informed me "I am married to Kim Erica, five years after your mother had divorced me, and I have a 21-year-old daughter, Kim Hannah." The news of his wife and daughter came as a shock to me, as I never knew they existed.

I inquired "What does it has to do with me? he played no part in my life, and therefore I do not have any regard for his family. Since he separated from us a long time ago, his personal choices and whether or not he has a family has no impact on me.

My father informed me "I successfully arranged a marriage between your sister and the CEO of Lee industries, but unfortunately she refused." When I suggested canceling the wedding, my father grew enraged and explained "the marriage would bring great advantages to my mafia business so you have to convince her to agree to this marriage" So now he expects me to persuade my sister to marry the CEO, even though I am unsure if she is even aware of my existence. It seemed my father was intent on coercing his own daughter into a loveless marriage.

I inquired "does my newfound sibling has any knowledge of my existence," to which he responded "she is aware of your existence but not much else." I breathed a sigh of relief that she was aware of me, but I had decided not to get involved in their family affairs. I decided that this would be the final time I met with him, and that I would maintain the same lifestyle as before, unaffected by his or his family's presence.

"I refuse to help you since you and your family hold no significance to me," I stated dismissively, rising from the table. He pleaded, "Can't you at least do this for your sister?" Unmoved, I countered, "What have you ever done for me as a father?" Despite his remorseful expression, I remained resolute. "Stay out of my life," I warned him. His retort was biting, "You are of no use to me whatsoever." I paid him no mind as I departed, making my way to the waiting van where my driver opened the door for me. Settling in, I took a deep breath and closed my eyes as the vehicle started moving.

My driver commented on how I spent a significant amount of time inside, to which I responded that I was only 10 minutes late. He laughed in response and continued driving. Meanwhile, I received a text from Taehyung.

Without delay, I instructed my chauffeur to steer towards the blackberry shopping complex

Without delay, I instructed my chauffeur to steer towards the blackberry shopping complex. He acknowledged my request and informed me ten minutes later that we had arrived. In response, I adorned my mask and alighted from the vehicle.

While on my way to Starbucks, I dialed Taehyung's number to confirm his arrival. He picked up the call and I inquired, "Have you made it?" He acknowledged that he had and mentioned that he could see me while waving his hand. I reciprocated the gesture and approached him as he concealed his identity with a cap and mask. Taehyung then suggested we commence our coffee date, which I agreed to with a nod. Finally, he grabbed my hand and led me inside the Starbucks.

We were seated at the table awaiting what he was about to say when a young lady approached. She had dark, straight hair and was dressed in floral top jeans. Quietly, she uttered my name "Kim Jennie?" I was surprised as I was wearing a mask, and wondered how she knew me. However, the next thing she said left me completely stunned, and I froze in my seat.

"I am Kim Hannah, your sister"