Chapter 8: Comfort Buddy

Alexis brought her scarf up to her chin, the air much more chilly than the pervious few days. In those few days, Miranda had been in her laboratory for hours on end preparing the Cadou and other things she needed for the Ceremony. She was also putting in more time in tracking down the people Alexis wanted, at least that's what she told her. And Alexis had no reason to doubt Miranda, after all, she was keeping up her end of the bargain and to her knowledge, had not lied to her.

The trees around her began to look more and more familiar. A strange feeling of melancholic nostalgia. Memories of laughing and bright smiles flooded her mind as she continued her walk. After just a few steps, the old rundown home she use to live in with her sister came into view. The small smile that she had been hanging onto curled into a frown when the gravestone came into view.

She took in a shaky breath before approaching it. The gravestone was dirty and some moss had started to grow around it. Carefully, she brushed away as much dirty as she could and removed the moss carefully in order to not damage her sister's resting place. Well, at least part of her.

She picked away some dirt from the inside of the crudely carved words in order to read it better.

Lex Miroslava

May I see you again

Alexis felt herself beginning to tear up as she reread the words over and over again. Seeing her sister's name again brought back so many memories. Most of them good and enjoyable but only one of them haunting her almost every single day. Pushing the memories to the back of her mind, she smiled at the gravestone as best she could.

''Hey Lex, I'm sorry I haven't been visiting as much as I use to.'' she said, reaching into her shirt and pulling out a flask. ''It's cranberry, I know you don't drink but I don't know what you liked so this was the best I could do. I know I've never done this before but I have great news.''

She opened up the flask and poured some onto the grave before taking a drink of it herself. ''The Ceremony is actually happening. Miranda found a vessel to use. It's only a matter of time now until Miranda brings me the ones who...'' she paused, wiping her eyes before she could begin crying, sadness being replaced with anger and blame. ''I know you can't hear me but I want to know... why did you leave me? I know you were stronger than any Villager so why? Why did you leave me here all alone? You did love me... didn't you?''

The only answer she received was the sound of the wind rustling the loose leaves on the tree. She stayed silent, just staring at the gravestone blankly and refusing to cry. Faintly, she could heard the echoing voice of her sister calling out for her. It then turned into mocking laughter which only made her anger flare up. She covered her ears and squeezed her eyes shut. After a few moment, the voice seemed to give up and went completely silent.

Looking back up at the gravestone, she smiled fondly at her sister's name. ''I really wish I could talk to you. Not like this but in person again. I just miss you... I miss you so damn much...''

Carefully, she stood up, finishing the rest of the cranberry juice in the flask before walking away with a heavy heart. It had been a long time since she had visited her sister due to the pain that was still fresh in her mind. Just being there was enough to bring back the memory of her ten-year-old self burying what was left of her sister's body. 

No ten-year-old should have to bury their older sister; their protector.

But she couldn't just keep the good news to herself. Besides, she hadn't seen her sister in so long. Fourteen years in fact. Alexis couldn't help but think back to her childhood with her sister. She always had a smile on her face and adored her messy white hair; it was unique. When she was younger, her hair was white just like Lex and her sister would ask her if she wanted to fully dye her hair when her black roots started to grow it. But she never wanted to, she wanted to hang onto this similarity she shared with her sister even when Lex would colour her hair with charcoal.