Chapter 18: Discussion

A/N: I mean to update this yesterday but it was my birthday and I got trashed. Have a good day/night! 

---------------------------------------------------

Cassandra sat by the roaring fire in her mother's room, staring at the flames. Rue was sitting on the bed, reading quietly to Daniela and Bela who were staring to drift off into sleep despite trying to stay awake with Cassandra. Alcina was sitting in a chair, soft stroking her daughter's hair to sooth her.

It had been days since Alexis went missing. Alcina and Bela had tried to reassure her by telling her about what Alexis said at the meeting but that only helped for a short time. Cassandra was sure something was wrong and wanted to go searching for her friend but with the dropping temperature she'd only risk herself.

''Cassandra, please drink something. You haven't eaten all day.'' Alcina said tenderly, looking down at her daughter. She hadn't been eating ever since she had called Miranda's estate and spoke with Monica, who told her that Alexis hadn't returned.

''I'm not hungry, mother.'' Cassandra said, leaning against her mother's legs as the Countess continued to stroke her hair.

After a few moments of silence, the door swung wide open while slamming against the wall. The sudden noise awoke Bela and Daniela and the family looked towards the door, seeing Sofia standing there.

''I apologize for slamming the door my Lady but it's Lady Miroslava. She's hurt.'' she explained quickly. Bela and Daniela jumped off the bed, rushing out of the door with their sister while their mothers' followed closely behind.

The closer they got to the infirmary, the strong the scent of blood grew. Entering the room, they stared at Alexis laying in one of the beds. There was a maid next to her, stitching up her cheek with a blood stained cloth next to her. Once the maid finished with her stitches, Cassandra was by Alexis side.

''By Mother... what happened to you?'' the brunette questioned, noticing the beads of sweat rolling down the woman's forehead as the maid dabbed them away with a cloth.

''Got stuck in a really boring conversation.'' she smiled weakly as the maid stood, approaching Lady Dimitrescu who was standing just outside the door. They were speaking about something but she couldn't quite hear what was said before the maid rushed off. Lady Dimitrescu ducked into the room, watching as Cassandra sat on the edge of the bed Alexis was resting in.

''How are you feeling?'' the Countess questioned.

''Oh, just peachy.'' Alexis gave the woman the fakest smile she had ever seen, obviously trying to get a rise out of her. However, Alcina's expression didn't change and she didn't seem bothered.

''The maid told me you may have some broken ribs. Donna will be here soon to take a look at you.'' Alcina said, looking down at her. Cassandra looked between her mother and Alexis.

''I'll be fine. I just need something to drink and I'll be on my way.'' she said, attempting to wave her off.

''Alexis, as far as I'm concerned you're a guest at my estate and you'll be treated for your injuries here.''

Alexis stared up at the woman before looking to Cassandra. She was about to say something but paused and just looked away, staring out the window. Her sides and chest were in pain and she could feel the stitches in her cheek brush against her tongue. Her stomach was empty and cramping but she didn't want to show it, especially since the Dimitrescu daughters seemed concerned when they're mother mentioned that a few of her ribs might be broken. Of course, she had already assumed that the first time Roxane had left her in the wall tent, trembling with pain and attempting to keep her breathing steady.