Chapter 36: Broken Glass

A dark void. A blank mind. A steady beeping sound. A broken body. 

Familiar voices and unfamiliar voices echoing in her ears. Memories that didn't belong to her would flash before her eyes before vanishing into the dark void. No matter how hard she tried, her eyes refused to open. All she knew was that she was somewhere warm, laying on something soft and being tended to someone who's touch was familiar. Very familiar.

The only thing she remembered before being stuck like this was being absorbed into the Megamycete and seeing people who looked like Lex. Something inside her told her that all those people were Lex, but not her at the same time. Strangely enough, those people all felt familiar to her, like she was suppose to know them but just didn't. It was like she wasn't the one who was suppose to know them.

Sometimes she'd feel something wet touch her hand before a familiar head would slip under her hand. She couldn't hear all that well but she was able to pick up on bits and pieces. The only two people who seemed to be caring for her sounded like Miranda and Monica, sometimes Helen would be there but not a lot. Usually, there wasn't much said unless it was someone asking her to say something but no matter how hard she tried, no words would leave her throat.

For a moment, she hear the door to the room open. Every time she was able to pick up on that familiar sound she heard so frequently, she'd try to open her eyes. Strength had been returning to her bit by bit during the time she had been resting. 

Next to her, she heard someone rummaging through a drawer. The person didn't say anything to her, but she felt a tug on the IV tube in her arm and she felt something unfamiliar course through her veins, forcing her eyes wide open.

She was blinded for a moment and she brought her hand up to try and block out the painful light shining in her eyes. After a moment, she brought her hand back down and looked at the blurred figure who had awoken her. For a moment, she thought it was Miranda and her heart longed for her. 

But it wasn't her. It was someone else.

It was Roxane. 

Her brown hair shined in the light. Her dark, emerald green eyes holding a sadistic kind of glee to them. In her hand, she held something that held many different mixed emotions for Alexis. It was the magnum that Luca had given her on her eighteenth birthday, before she knew of what he had done; before she killed him. 

She held the gun to her stomach, jabbing it painfully into her skin. Despite the surge of adrenaline and strength, her body refused to move. It was like all of her muscles had snapped shut and refused to budge even when she saw Roxane teasing the trigger of the gun as she placed a warm hand on her shoulder, leaning down to the point Alexis's could smell the coffee on her breath.

''I'm going to enjoy this.'' she hummed and pulled the trigger.

Alexis lurched forward, bile rising in the back of her throat as her eyes snapped open. She leaned over the edge, gripping onto the mattress of the bed as she threw up a strange pinkish foam. She coughed and gagged, the foam that had been spilled from her throat turning into liquid the more she spat it out which burned the back of her throat. After a moment, she was able to breath and she took in slow, deep breaths.

Looking around, she saw that she was alone. She looked down at her stomach and pulled the sheets away from her, lifting her shirt and inspecting her abdomen, but there was nothing. No bullet holes or anything. It was like she had imagined the whole thing, but it felt so real...

Her head snapped up when she saw the door to the room open, revealing Miranda. She looked exhausted as she held a new bag of IV clear fluids. Her blonde hair was lightly tousled and beneath her eyes held dark bags like she hadn't slept in days. However, as soon as she saw Alexis, her eyes brightened and she smiled. However as soon as she noticed the contents of Alexis's stomach on the floor, her smile disappeared.