Chapter 32: Village Idiots

It was definitely getting warmer, not warm enough for the Cassandra or Daniela to leave the castle, but warm enough to melt the snow, creating patches of thick mud. The sky was clear, not a single cloud to be seen leaving the sun to freely shine on the Village.

Alexis brought her hand up to block the sunlight from her eyes as she walked along the side of the road, slipping every few steps. She growled in frustration every time she slipped, wondering if they'd ever set up boards along the sides of the road so people don't fall in the mud. Mutt on the other hand was having the time of his life, barking happily and rolling around in the mud. Although she wasn't pleased by him rolling around and getting dirty, he was still a dog and he was going to do things dogs do. Besides, she was going to give him a bath anyway once she got the proper stuff for him.

The Village felt much more alive today considering they were all going to the church to listen to Miranda's sermons. Many took a step away from her as she got closer to the church. A few of them shared a glance, whispering to each other, wondering if she was going to attend the sermon.

She had thought about it before she left the Factory that day, but decided against it, needing to take care of Mutt first. It had been a few days since reconciling with Miranda, but they hadn't really seen each other since then. The longing she felt in her heart for her was something she couldn't really describe. Before she hadn't realized just how much she missed Miranda until they actually sat down and talked properly. The morning after, Miranda had left her a note saying that she needed to attend a meeting but they'd talk again soon.

Out of the corner of her eye, she spotted a familiar face. It was Lady Luiza, who was slipping on the mud as she struggled towards the church. Iulian was trying to help her but was losing his footing as well. Alexis swiftly brushed past a group of Villager's who eyed her in a way she didn't like while Mutt followed behind her loyally. Without a word, she took hold of Luiza's arm, her other arm going around her back to make sure she didn't fall. 

The old woman smiled sadly at her. Iulian on the other hand only glared at her before slipping and falling on his back, groaning in pain. Once Luiza was on firm ground, Alexis went to Iulian and held of her hand. Instead, the man just continued to glare and roughly smacked her hand to the side. ''I don't need your goddamn help, fucking monster.''

Her jaw clenched tightly but didn't say anything. Luiza turned to the young man. ''Iulian, that's enough. Now hurry up, we'll be late.'' The old woman looked back at Alexis, but she had already started to walk off towards where the Duke set up shop near the graveyard and towards the Ceremony site, which wasn't completely destroyed during the Ceremony.

One Villager from the group she had passed by stepped in front of her, blocking her way. She tried to step around him but he continued to block her. Her hand clenched into a fist, her nails digging into her leather gloves. Once more, she tried to step around him but this time, he roughly pushed her back, almost seeing her into a patch of mud.

''You shouldn't be allowed to wander around. We already have enough monsters in the woods, we don't need one in the Village. Especially after you killed my best friend.'' he growled angrily.

''Step aside.'' she mutter in a calm tone she was desperate to maintain, not wanting to fall prey to anger again. Not after last time. She tried to step around him again, but he still blocked her with the help of another man in the group, who seemed to finally gain some confidence. ''I won't say it again. Step. Aside.''

The man didn't say anything at first and instead, spat in her face. She flinched and wiped away the saliva. ''Mother Miranda shouldn't let you wander around. Maybe we should put your head on a spike too for what you did to Andrei.''