Chapter 22: The Reason

Her footsteps filled the silence of the estate as she closed the door behind her. Miranda was nowhere to be seen and not even Monica was there to greet her. Last night was like a distant, wonderful dream and today was like her world was crumbling around her. Why did it have to be like this? Why did this have to happen to her? What did she ever do to deserve such a messed up life? The people she trusted have lied to her.

Alexis silently made her way to Miranda's laboratory in the basement. She wasn't sure what she was going to do or even say to Miranda but she knew she had to return the flask to her. After all, the ceremony was approaching fast When she reached the bottom of the stairs, there was no one aside from Mia Winters still locked in her cell.

The woman stood and rushed over to the bars, the lock making a strange noise but she paid it no mind for now. Mia threw question after question at her, but she just ignored her, setting the flask down on a table for Miranda to find. Before she was about to leave, she noticed something out of the corner of her eye. A file hidden underneath a few different notes on the effects of the Megamycete. Curiously, she picked it up and flipped it to the first page all while still ignoring Mia's increasing questions.

Name: Alexis Bucur Miroslava

Cadou Affinity: Favourable

Brain functions: Normal

Blood tests show high compatibility with the Cadou when exposed however it struggles bonding with DNA. Further testing needed.

Note: DNA tests shows evidence of fungal infection similar to that of the Megamycete, causing the high reactivity and struggle while bonding. Upon further study the infection has seem to have bonded with the hosts DNA, becoming part of it. Evidence suggests that the infection is genetic but seems to have been weakened by something previously. Only known side effect seems to be the colour of her hair however melanin produced seems to be functioning perfectly fine, explaining why the rest of her hair isn't white.

Could be a suitable host for Eva.

Personal Note: I wonder if at one point, this infection had a similar power to the Megamycete but the data is far to convoluted.

Final Note: Further testing in postponed indefinitely.

She read through the file a few more times, soaking it all in while Mia seemed to have given up trying to speak to her. The date of the file was listed 2017, the same year she made her deal with Miranda and had numerous examinations and medical screenings conducted by Miranda. The personal note was dated 2019, the same year they started their little arrangement.

I was going to be a candidate for Eva... She realized as she set the file down. At that moment, a voice called out for her in a quiet tone that made her tense. Turning around, it was none other than Miranda. Her expression was somber as she slowly made her way closer. She looked like she wanted to saw anything, but her blue eyes widened at the wound on her cheek.

''Alexis, what happe-''

''You were right. About my fa- about Luca.'' she said in a quiet voice. ''I just didn't want it to be true.''

''I'm sorry, love.'' she said, looking to the side. The nerve she had to call her that after everything she hid from her. That's when she saw the yellow flash on the table. Her eyes widened as she pointed at it, looking back up at Alexis. ''Where did you get that?''

''I ran into your vessel's father. He had it with him and I got it back. He got me pretty good though.'' she said, gesturing to her cheek. ''He shouldn't be getting back up though.'' she answered and Miranda face fell but she didn't know why, she got the flask back.