Chapter 33: Rat

Alexis banged loudly on the large front doors of Castle Dimitrescu while Mutt sat patiently, his fur coat much cleaner now. The only reason she was even at the Castle was because Cassandra had called her, asking her to come over. Over the phone, she had sounded exhausted. Ever since Bela had been killed by Ethan Winters, Cassandra had taken over her responsibilities.

She banged on the door a little louder and this time, the doors opened. The Head Maid Sofia was the one to answer it, looking perplexed. ''Alexis Miroslava? What are you doing here? Miranda didn't say anything about you also attending the meeting.''

Her brows furrowed in confusion. ''What meeting? I'm here to see Cassandra.''

''Well, come on in.'' she said, stepping off to the side. Alexis stepped inside with Mutt beside her.

''Out of curiosity, do you know what the meeting is about?''

''Not at all, Mother Miranda was extremely silent about the topic. They've been talking for almost two hours now.'' she answered, looking in the direction of Alcina's study. Alexis joined her staring for a moment before shaking her head. ''Forgive me for asking, but what is the situation with you and Mother Miranda.''

Alexis's gaze shot to the woman, glaring deep into her gray eyes. Sofia glanced away, unable to maintain eye contact with her. ''Why do you ask?''

''Just curious.'' she simply said.

''We're fine, so you can stop being curious.'' she said in an annoyed tone, crossing her arm.

Sofia brought her hands up in with an awkward smile. ''Just a question, no need to be hostile. I'm not going to try and steal Miranda from you.''

''I know you won't.'' Alexis said before walking off without another word. She heard Sofia mutter something under her breath but couldn't make out what was said.

The hallways of the Castle were strangely silent, almost dead feeling. For a while, the only maid she had seen was for a while was Sofia. That was until she walked pass the infirmary. In fact, she didn't even know anyone was in there until a maid had rushed out, running full speed into her chest, nearly sending both of them to the ground. The maid only glance at her before collecting herself and running off. Taking a peek inside that room, she noticed quite a few of the bed were occupied with multiple injured maidens. One of them far worse than the others.

What the hell happened? Did Cassandra take out her frustrations on them? But their injuries, from what she could see, were far to jagged to be from Cassandra.

Soon, she came to Cassandra's room. She didn't even have time to knock before the door opened, revealing both Cassandra on the other side of the door. Her tone over the phone definitely matched how she looked. Her hair was a mess and there were bags forming under her golden yellow eyes. Silently, she stepped into the room and Cassandra immediately closed the door behind her.

Cassandra room was similar to her mother's room. The fireplace with burning a bright orange colour, warming the room to comfortable temperature. The windows were closed and curtains drawn. In her bed lay Daniela, who was curled into a ball and sound asleep.

''What's going on?'' Alexis asked as Cassandra went to her bed, brushing Daniela's ginger hair out of her face.

''The Castle was attacked.'' she said.

Her eyes widened in shock. Who would be foolish enough to attack Castle Dimitrescu? Almost as soon as she finished that thought, she had her answer. The BSAA. It was the only logical explanation. None of the Villager's would be stupid enough to attack the Castle, but the BSAA definitely could. Roxane's face flashed before her eyes and for a moment, she could feel electricity course through her veins.