Chapter 24: The Ceremony

Alexis wiped away any remaining tears from her cheeks, making sure her face was dry. She wasn't about to attend Miranda's Ceremony with tears still running down her face. As she got closer and closer to the ceremony site, Karl ended up trailing further and further behind, his hands shoved into his pockets.

They quickly came to the Ceremony site, surrounded by Miranda's powers over the mold, creating a nearly impenetrable dome to make sure she wasn't disturbed. Before Alexis could reach out to open a hole so she could enter, Karl grabbed her wrist.

''Man, I really don't think you shouldn't be here. Look, I don't know what happened in that little bubble of mold you were in, but even I can tell it's really fucked you up. You should go to Big-Head's Castle and just get some rest.'' he explained, as if he was really trying to convince her to leave.

''No matter what you say, I'm staying here. I need to fulfil my end of the deal so stop pushing it.'' Alexis said, ripping away her wrist roughly. She took a moment to breathe, trying to keep herself calm when she felt anger, that anger that terrified her, bubbling to the surface. She placed her hand on his shoulder, giving it a comforting squeeze. ''Look, once this is all over, how about we drink until we pass out, like we did that one night last summer.''

Karl scoffed, laughing a little and nodding his head. ''Yeah, sure. Let's do that.'' he said, patting her hand that was resting in his shoulder.

With an uneasy smile, Alexis turned back to the mold and pushed her hand into the mold. A second later, a small hole opened. Carefully, she maneuverer through it with Karl following close behind. Finally, they came to the centre of the ceremony site with Miranda holding the four flasks. The priestess turned, her gaze softening when she saw Alexis was there before quickly turning around to focus on her work.

Alexis watched from a short distance, Karl standing next to her as Miranda set down the flasks so they could be absorbed into the mold. Alexis could tell Miranda was anxious as she started down into the small pool of mold. Without a word, she quietly approached, placing her hand on her back. Miranda turned to glance at her, their eyes meeting for a moment.

''You've worked hard for this day, try to enjoy it.'' she said, her hand sliding off her back before falling to her side.

''I wouldn't have blamed you, you know. If you decided not to come here.'' Miranda said quietly as the mold began to bubble and boil. ''You're eyes a really red. I assume you've been crying. I can't say I can imagine your sadness.''

''Not sadness. Just disappointment.'' she answered as she felt the tears coming back, these ones stinging even worse that the previous ones but she refused to let hem out which only made them sting more.

Before Miranda could say anything, the mold began to take the shape of an infant. At first, there was no noise from the infant, then there was a faint gurgling sound that slowly formed into the clear cries of a baby. Miranda's cold blue eyes suddenly burst with love and warmth. ''Eva? Is that you?''

''Oh Eva, how I've missed you!'' Carefully, the woman reached into the mold before pulling out a small baby with bright blonde hair. Miranda smiled brightly, almost on the verge of tears. Finally, after years of work, she had done it. She finally had her daughter back. Then, her smile faded as she lowered the child. Something black started leaking from her eyes almost like something was sucking the life from her.

''Give Rose to me, now!'' they heard a familiar voice scream. They turned and to Alexis's horror, it was Ethan Winters.

''How are you still alive?! I shot you dead!''

''His body certainly isn't normal. I'll make sure to put you in the gro-'' Miranda head sharply moved to the side, blood leaking from the side of her temple. Alexis turned, pulling out her pistol and firing at the man who shot Miranda. She didn't get a good look at his face, but he yelled at Ethan to grab Eva.