BEAUTIFUL NIGHTMARE

Sometimes, death was a better option than this

Sometimes, death was a better option than this. The road to recovery was taking longer than usual. The magic coursing through her veins weakened. It wasn't clear wether or not dying played a key factor in it, but Nova didn't care. Her powers withering away were the least of her concerns. Soon her kids would arrive from the Jabari Land. Nova grew anxious. She didn't want to show an ounce of weakness to ease their worries.

Nakia who had been playing nurse for a while encouraged her to take it slow, never ceasing to remind her of her condition. Patience tried her everyday. Nova despised it. Today she swore it would be the day she would finally get out bed. Even if it meant crawling out of the damn room. "Easy now" Nakia aided her.

The minute her feet hit the floor an unbearable sensation spread throughout her ribs. Holding back her tears, her grip on Nakia tightened. With a deep exhale, she took one small step and her knees nearly twitched like leaves. "Do not push yourself too hard, Nova. If you need to stop just say so"

"Nakia, just shut up" Nova snapped, growing irritated, "I can do this." However, it was clear how much this was exhausting her. Her chest grew heavy with her mouth becoming parched. Nakia sighed, carefully forcing Nova back on the bed. Nova shook her head, pressing her palms against her thighs, "I can do this" she quietly repeated, urging to get back up, but of course Nakia gently held her down knowing that what she had attempted was enough for today.

"There is no rush to get better" Nakia frowned, saddened to see her friend like this. "This will take time." Nova hung her head low, ashamed by the outcome. She refused to utter a word. Nakia perked her head up at the sudden rush of voices and footsteps are outside. "I will be right back." The door closed behind her. Nova buried her hands into her palms and instantly let out a quiet sob. Being vulnerable irked something inside of her. To the point where she just wanted to destroy everything in sight. Though she took a deep breath, reminding herself it was just the anger talking. Nova knew that coming back from the dead had its consequences.

"Please, we just wanna see our mom" Njari voice echoed through the door.

"I know you do" Nakia sympathized, "But, right now she is not feeling too good." Their conversation goes on. Nova can hear Nailah faint cries. Azuri is troubled by the intensity of the room. Nova took another deep breath, deciding enough was enough. Her hands pushed her up with all her might. Nova winced, hurling forward. Her shoulder slammed into the wall, likely causing another bruise. Nova leaned her head there for a minute, apply pressure to her wounds for a mere second. Her hand trembled reached over the door knob, harshly twisting it before stepping out into the hall.

Heavy, yet small footsteps shut everyone up. Nakia rushed over to aid. Nova shook her head, wanting to do this on her own. Slightly limping over, her children's faces held mixed emotions. Azuri thrashed in Njari's hold. His bubble arms extend to Nova.

"Mom!" Nailah snapped out of it, running toward her. Nova pale lips curl. Her feet stumble back, surprised by Nailahs strong grip.

Nova kneeled down, eased now that she was not bringing too much tension to her ribs. Njari sets Azuri down where he is jogging toward her. Her falls onto her lap, in which Nailah helps him sit up. Nova showered her little boy in kisses, yet she soon stopped when he grasped her lips in a tight fist. Nova rubbed her mouth, watching Njari kneel down with her head hanging low. "I'm sorry, mom. If it weren't for me dragging Nailah to the city none of this shit would've happened."

Nova has no hesitation. Njari was brought into her arms. Wet droplets pour at the nape of Nova's neck. Her high expectations and constant demands were what lead them to this. Njari tried to live up to her, but it shouldn't have been done. After T'Challa's death, Nova only wanted to make sure her kids were strong enough to face anything. She feared how naive and reckless they were. The world undoubtedly would make her suffer once again, forcing her to lose yet again another child.

"Its okay" she repeats until the doubt weaseling into their hearts ceased. Everything seemed to fall into place like some sort of fairy tale. Maybe it was finally all over.