TWENTY ONE

The first thing Nova saw when getting off the ship was the beauty this place had

The first thing Nova saw when getting off the ship was the beauty this place had. The birds chirping echoed through the sky as the multiple waterfalls had a relaxing sound that didn't make her so tense.

But, why was she so tense? Just like Nat had said, this was gonna work, they were gonna use the stones to bring everyone back, and everything would be back to normal..right?

"Up there is a shack" Nebula pointed out as they hurried down a trail.

Nova looked around seeing Thanos's suit and armor hanging onto a sword that was stabbed into the ground.

"Lets go" Steve ordered.

Nova nodded, and pulled out her bow and arrows in case it was needed. She couldn't trust exactly on what was going to happen next.

When they entered the wooden shack they saw Bruce and Rhodey in their iron suits holding down Thanos's arms as Carol kept Thanos in a head lock.

Thor swiftly slammed his axe down on Thanos's hand cutting it off with the gauntlet. He screamed in pain but Nova didn't care. That was a small dose of pain compared to what she had done to all of them.

If anything he deserved more.

Yet, Nova took her attention off of him and went straight to the golden gauntlet. She kneeled down beside Rocket that when he turned it over Nova suddenly widened her eyes in shock.

"The stones they're not here" Nova stuttered with her heart dropping.

"Oh no.."

Where could they be?

Steve followed their eyes to the gauntlet with him looking over at Thanos whose face was half burnt,"Where are they?" He demanded.

"Answer the question" Carol hissed, with her arms tightening around his neck.

"The universe required correction. After that the stones served no purpose beyond temptation" Thanos groaned.

"You murdered trillions!" Bruce screamed, pushing him back, causing Thanos to fall down.

Nova stood up with her pointing her arrows at the purple creature.

"You should be grateful!"

Bruce growled punching him across the face.

"We won't ask again, where are the stones" Nat questioned, with Nova fighting everything in her body to not kill the guy.

"Gone, reduced to atoms."

No, that couldn't be right. He had them!

"You used then two days ago!" Nova argued,

"I used the stones to destroy the stones" he answered,"It nearly killed me. But the work is done. It always will be. I am inevitable"

Nova with her blood draining, slowly shook her head, her eyes began to tear up as she couldn't believe it. No, she had to stay positive. Maybe he was lying. Maybe it was around here somewhere. He was just trying to scare them that was it.

"We have to tear this place apart. He—he has to be lying" Rhodey stammered.

"My father is many things..but a lair isn't one of them" Nebula stated, with her meeting the eyes of Thanos.

"Ah, thank you daughter. Perhaps I treated you too harshly—"

"Ah!"

Nova jumped back startled as Thor screamed in rage, slicing Thanos head apart from his body.

Thor stared down at the head with Nova looking at the God of Lighting in shock,"What did you do?" Rocket asked in disbelief.

"I went for the head."

With Thor walking past her, Nova couldn't help but take a couple of steps back weakly, as she felt realization hit her.

The stones were truly gone. Nebula said he wasn't a lair. Did that mean that this was it? That there was no way of getting everyone back? Not even her parents, Sheri, or T'Challa?

Nova felt tears threatening to fall from her eyes. She didn't want to believe it. How could this happen? Did the Avengers for once finally lose?

The agent looked to her sister figure. Nova dropped her weapon and put her hands to her mouth to cover up a sob. This couldn't be right, this had to be a dream, please, please let this be a dream, she pleaded over and over in her head.

"They're never coming back" Nova cried into her hands,"T—They're not—and I—"

Nat who looked like she was doing her best to not cry, held Nova in a hug trying to calm her down. Nova sobbed uncontrollably, shaking her head trying to stop the tears that were coming down but she couldn't.

She couldn't control the feelings that had been threatening to come out. She didn't want anyone to see her like this. She never broke down like this before. But today was different.

Today marked the day that the stones were gone, and that the memories of the ones that were vanquished are now just memories. They aren't coming back.. They're now just memories of the past. Memories of the past..