Chapter 5

February 2022

Third person POV:

"Today, every student will get an email of a questionnaire that they must do about the independent research project. They must pick the course that they would like to do at University along with the question that they are answering in their project, based on their chosen course. Then, in two weeks, they will each do a five minute presentation to the class and winners must be selected by either the class or form tutors. I will then narrow them down to ten finalists who will each present their project to the whole year group"

"To the whole year group? What is this, Asia's got talent?" Haneul asked, annoyed as the year group made a ruckus in the assembly hall while getting ready for their first lesson.

"This school sure is something" Jacob added, "maybe you can do your project on psychology instead of medicine if you want to?"

Haneul thought about it for a bit, she so desperately wanted to do psychology at Uni, but what would her mother say?

"I'll think about it"

"You know, you could secretly pick psychology without your mum knowing and then it'll be too late for her to say anything so then, she'll have to let you do psychology"

"Wow, you sneaky child" Haneul laughed, to which Jacob responded with an imitation of a cackling witch. Of course it sounded horrendous so, the pair laughed even harder.

Haneul thought about Jacob's idea in the meantime.

It wasn't actually a bad idea.

When Haneul got home, she saw the email about the independent research project and clicked on the link to do the questionnaire.

She saw the options for the courses and of course, was easily drawn to one than the other.

But whose choice would she take?

Her mother's?

Or hers?

"Screw it"

After completing the questionnaire, she saw another email from school about enrichment.

Every term, Chungdam encourages their students to take part in various extra curricular activities to make students' applications better for University.

Haneul clicked on the email and scrolled down to her name to see which enrichment she got.

Badminton.

Ever since primary school, Haneul was sporty. She was the only girl seen playing basketball with the guys and even though she hated football, the school's coach would force her to be in the girls' football team because of how good she was. When it came to secondary, she was in the netball, basketball and rounders team but unfortunately after year 10, she stopped playing sports due to the pandemic and her focus on studies. Although the only time she was able to play badminton was in year 9, it was her favourite sport and she missed playing it so of course, she was ecstatic to see that she was able to do her favourite sport for a term.

However, her face fell when she found out who else would be doing badminton for enrichment.

Mina.

Haneul was getting ready to play badminton when she accidentally bumped into someone in the changing rooms,

"Oh my gosh! Are you okay?" the girl asked her.

"Yeah, I'm fine don't worry" she laughed in return, but then looked to see the girl's face, "you don't seem okay though, is everything alright?"

The girl groaned in stress, "guess who's doing football for enrichment? I'M THE ONLY GIRL THERE"