Chapter 21

July 2023

Haneul's POV:

"How long is this going to take?"

It was the day of my birthday party.

The photographer, who was my mum's friend, was busy taking photos of me outside my house. I was being wary of time so kept complaining as he continued to take photos and told me how to pose.

"We're nearly finished, Haneul. Don't worry, ok?" he replied.

I was wearing a long, gold dress that flowed at the bottom and was a bit open at my left leg. My hair was out and straightened but had curls at the bottom. For the first time, I had make up on but, it was done by my aunt since I had no clue about make up.

Everything was fine except for the heels.

They really put the high in high heels.

I could barely walk in them. I just wished that this photoshoot can be over already.

It took twenty minutes to finish.

That is not what nearly finished means.

Just as I was about to get in the car, I heard the door being opened from another house.

"Haneul?"

I looked over to see that it was Jaeyun who had opened the door from his house. His eyes were wide open and his jaw dropped as he looked up and down at me.

"Why are you just standing there?" Hiyyih remarked from behind him before she pushed him further out the door and closed the door behind her.

She then turned back around and saw me, "HANEUL??" she gasped as she looked at me in awe.

"Why are you just standing there?" Jaeyun mimicked her, causing Hiyyih to punch him in the arm.

Seriously, it's a wonder how they're still dating.

"This was meant to be a surprise look as soon as you enter the hall" I laughed.

"Oh! Whoops" Jaeyun sheepishly laughed.

"I don't know about this guy," Hiyyih said as she rolled her eyes, Jaeyun scoffing in return. "but I'm an amazing actor so I can pretend I didn't see anything" she continued as she pretended to lose her sight all of a sudden.

"Wait, didn't the invitation say the party starts at six?" Jaeyun asked.

I checked the time on my phone.

It was exactly six.

"Shit, we haven't even started decorating the hall yet" I sighed.

"Do you need help?" Jaeyun offered.

"Don't ask, we will help her" Hiyyih butted in before giving me a reassuring look. "We have to pick up Heeseung and Jay but don't worry, I'll make sure he drives fast" she said before she linked arms with Jaeyun and dragged him to his car.

"We'll see you soon!" Jaeyun shouted before Hiyyih shouted a "Bye!"

They both got in his car as I got in my mum's and then we both parted ways.

Me, my mum, Yongbok, Chaeryeong, my aunt, the photographer and his wife arrived at the venue and immediately got the decorations out from the car.

We rushed into the hall and damn.

We had a lot of work to do.

It was now 6:20 and the party was meant to start twenty minutes ago but surprisingly, no one had arrived yet.